XS400 tire size...again...

Chrisleigh01

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a complete newbie to the motorcycle world & bought a 1980 xs400 (2A2) back in October last year...now spring has arrived I am rather hurriedly trying to get the bike back in 1 piece so that I can begin to enjoy life on 2 wheels.

Now I am trying to decide which tires to get for the stock mag wheels

front 1.85 x 18
rear 2.15 x 18

I have pretty much decided on either Avon AM26 roadriders or the Bridgestone BT45's but would like to go up in size if possible.

I'm not planning on using the stock fenders (mudguards) or chain guard any more so would these sizes fit OK?

front 100/90 x 18
rear 120/90 x 18

or should I stick with the tried & tested

90/90 x 18
110/90 x 18

I have been searching a the forum but just seem to confuse myself even more...

Thanks for your advice.

Chris.

Welcome Chris you do come from a far away land the inernet is amazing isnt it.?Question how did your bike come with with same size front and rear wheel?

Hi Scorpio,

Yeah the riding season is pretty short up here so i'm anxious to get going asap...

Are you asking why the bike came with the same size 18" diameter wheels front & rear?

It seems to be the norm for the European 2A2's from what i can gather....
The bike was imported from Germany many moons ago & seems to be a bit of a mash up of 2A2 & 4G5 frame & engine - it has been a bit of a nightmare trying to find the correct parts due to this.

Chris.

The bike will handle best with the stock size tires. But if you want looks over function that's up to you. I think 120 on the back and 110 on the front is as big as you can go without some mods. Most european xs400's came with 18's front to back. U.S. were 77-79 models.

I have 120/90 rear tyre on my 2A2...
check my build thread, there is some pic where you can see the clearance between rear tyre and swingarm

Back