Rewiring alternator/starter motor

brockd

XS400 Newbie
Reaction score
Question for the more electrically inclined:
Digging under my XS' left side covers I've discovered the wire shielding for the stator/field coil has worn away and things are shorting out. My wiring for the replacement coil is in better shape but still looks a little suspect. As the wires for the field coil are epoxied in, how would you recommend rewiring the line to get to the plastic connector? Splice and heat-shrink?

Tx!

Just took mine apart recently. You could chip off the epoxy, redo the factory splices, heat shrink or sleeve, and apply fresh epoxy.
It'd be the most robust option.
Do a resistance test on the leads before you epoxy everything in place.

You have two field coils? Do they both fail resistance tests or are you just wanting to repair the insulation?

Just took mine apart recently. You could chip off the epoxy, redo the factory splices, heat shrink or sleeve, and apply fresh epoxy.
It'd be the most robust option.
Do a resistance test on the leads before you epoxy everything in place.

You have two field coils? Do they both fail resistance tests or are you just wanting to repair the insulation?

Hadn't thought of that angle. The field coil in my bike is losing it's insulation enamel - the new one looks pretty clean. I haven't tested them yet. Never thought about redoing the factory splices. I'm not that knowledgeable with mechanical electrics - do you have any resources that might help show how to do such a thing? What epoxy would do best to hold up to the oil in the crankcase?

Back