Rocker covers?

arfstrom

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, I have put my bike together, and yesterday, the blind plug ejected out of my cylinder head. Then looking in the manual, The manual shows a oring. I don't think I put one in.

So now I am wondering would that have held the rocker pin in place, and prevent the ejection of the blind plug?

In the manual its part 4, in the parts catalogue, it doesn't show it like the manual, infact the only thing I can find is one for the other side of the engine head. I guess I didn't put one there either. So I suppose I should order 4 part 19s. The parts catalog says there is only 2 of them, for the Rt side of the bike. nothing on the left side. (the haynes manual, sitting on my bench says two on the left side. (i didn't look for the other side yesterday.)

There is a distinct noise coming from the cylinder head, I want to associate with the Timing pin (Rotor) BUT, I know that the one Rocker pin ejected out, and I was able to place it back in, and perhaps with out the oring in place? its going to eject out, again.

only thing holding the blind plugs in, is a paper gasket material that is mounted on the inside of the pickup governor cover.

I just checked boats.net parts diagram, and nothing different than the parts catalog available from our Manuals sections. I did look back to an older bike, and there valves shows the blind plug with the rocker arm, but no washer/oring. So I must be okay?

Thanks

Attachments

• rocker plug.png
    rocker plug.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 108
  • rocker plug1.png
    rocker plug1.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 100
The right side has the o-ring then the metal screw in plug. The left just has the rubber plu that is held in by the pickup cover. You should not run the bike without the cover above an idle. I use a little bit of yamabond around those left side rubber plugs to keep them in and sealed from leaking oil.

Back