Round-headed Oil-filter Cover-bolt

Lou Ranger

Former xs400 Luddite
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I thought I was lucky when I compared the oil change procedures for the DOHC with those for the SOHC. :thumbsup:
"This is going to be a snap - undo 2 bolts and pop in a new filter every 2nd change. :rock:

The oil drain plug went according to the fantasy - slick as can be.
But the filter cover-bolt is more round :yikes: than square or sexagonal - I'm screwed!
Luckily, this was to be the in-between change with no filter replacement, but the confusing manual (2-26) says the filter cover is to come off each time. So instead, I turned the engine over for a few seconds after it stopped dripping (3 times). More came out the first 2 times, no more the 3rd.
I am going to to fill up with nice clean premium M-C oil and worry about what to do about the cover-bolt for the next 2000 miles (3000 km) of "happy motoring". :bike:
And, I'm going to appeal to you guys for suggestions - or for permission to take a large set of vice-grips to the bolt in a month or so. :banghead:

Attachments

• 1st Oil Change 16-06.JPG
    1st Oil Change 16-06.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 589
  • Wonky Oil-Filter Cover-Bolt.JPG
    Wonky Oil-Filter Cover-Bolt.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 634
pipe wrench would be better.... looks like it's already been Vise-gripped :yikes: gives you time to get a new one ordered up .... classic case of a over-tightened oil filter screw

Yell at it! "Bad bolt! You should be ashamed!" :laugh:
I say put a 1/2" nut around it and weld that sucker on. Essentially upgrade that bolt from a 12mm socket to a 3/4" one. You'll never have to worry about it again. :bike:
That pic makes it look like you didn't clean the sieve/screen, btw.

pipe wrench would be better.... looks like it's already been Vise-gripped :yikes: gives you time to get a new one ordered up .... classic case of a over-tightened oil filter screw
Thanks. I have a lovely little pipe wrench with baby teeth which should work without shedding the bold head entirely.
You are right about over-tightening. When I read the manual ahead of time (my feminine side comes out when looking after this new baby), I figured the filter cover would be easy since it's only torqued to 11 lbs - compared to the drain plug at 31 lbs.
The drain plug was correct - on tight but came off without trouble, just a good pull. The cover - who knows, my little ratchets couldn't get a hold.

Yell at it! "Bad bolt! You should be ashamed!" :laugh:
I say put a 1/2" nut around it and weld that sucker on. Essentially upgrade that bolt from a 12mm socket to a 3/4" one. You'll never have to worry about it again. :bike:
That pic makes it look like you didn't clean the sieve/screen, btw.
You are making me confess. I did yell at it - and at the PO :cussing: who, until today, I thought walked on water.
Like I wrote to Jayel above, I read the service manual for the DOHC ahead of time :p and there was no mention of a screen. Just the filter above the filter cover.
I take it the DOHC has a secret screen inside a secret compartment? :banghead:
I will investigate that next time. I think I'll only go 1/2 the distance and then do all 3 three.

Yell at it! "Bad bolt! You should be ashamed!" :laugh
This time, I remembered a really cool Christmas gift which I had put away in my trunk tool kit.
The 12 mm socket from it did the trick - so I don't need to find that pipe wrench or struggle with vice-grips, or weld a 1/2" nut on.
These sockets have little cams in them which grip tighter the more force you apply to the wrench handle.
These things are fantastic; Worked like a charm - once I put a 3' steel pipe over the socket wrench handle that is.
I will torque to 11 lbs. per the manual when I re-install and hopefully the pipe will not need to come out again next time.

Attachments

• Super Sockets.JPG
    Super Sockets.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 815
and a bit of copper grease too!

its good practise especially when two dissimilar metals are used

I saw them just the other day in CanTire. They are regularly put on sale (< $20), either in the flyer, or with the gas bar coupon. Amazing little gadget.

OOOH thanks~ Not sure how come I didn't get a hit on that before...
Just changed just the oil this time cus that bolt is stuck. I'll change the oil next time well before the regular interval, and I'll get that tool and try it out.

Thanks again :)
- JW

OOOH thanks~ Not sure how come I didn't get a hit on that before...
Just changed just the oil this time cus that bolt is stuck. I'll change the oil next time well before the regular interval, and I'll get that tool and try it out. Thanks again .. :) - JW
Bienvenue. It's amazing how history keeps repeating itself around here.
If you are not more burly than I, you will need a couple of feet of pipe to put over the wrench handle in order to get enough force.
Remember - when you put it back on, it only needs 11 ft.lbs of torque (= "wrist-tight" with a small wrench). You do NOT want to repeat history and crack :yikes: the aluminum cover.

it only needs 11 ft.lbs of torque (= "wrist-tight" with a small wrench). You do NOT want to repeat history and crack :yikes: the aluminum cover.

Just bought it the other day, 5 bucks off at @25 with another 5 MIR. Hopefully this tool will help. As far as I understand, this tool relies on all the little stubs inside hugging the flat edges of the bolt. If the sides aren't even or whatnot, it might cause the stubs to shift and the plastic holder inside the socket break on you.
Before I was aware of this tool, I tried to file the bolt sides down to a lower size so I can use a smaller socket. I might have ruined some of the geometry of the bolt head:doh:.
HOPEFULLY this magic set helps. I'll use it in a month or two when I change the oil next. I'll try to remember to update the forum on the result.

Last edited:
... Before I was aware of this tool, I tried to file the bolt sides down to a lower size so I can use a smaller socket. I might have ruined some of the geometry of the bolt head :doh: .... ...
I hope you didn't file it all the way down to an 11mm since the socket set doesn't have an 11. Keep your bill in case the 12mm won't fit so you can get a refund or exchange it for an imperial set which might have a 7/16"

I've never used an impact wrench with a socket so I don't know how it would work. You might not have enough space under there to easily use an impact drill and certainly not a manual driver.
I would get the 12mm bit from the set you got now, and without actually turning it, confirm that it will grip tight on the oil cover bolt. If you have made the bolt too small, then pack the set up and take it back for a refund since it doesn't have an 11mm socket. Use the money to buy an 11mm impact socket or a set that has one.

One additional note of caution. When you go to loosen that stupid bolt, remember that you are working upside-down in mirror image - so you don't do what one of our colleagues did and tighten instead of loosen. It's easier to do that you might think. I almost started to over-tighten my replacement cover while trying to loosen it. :banghead:

I've never used an impact wrench with a socket
I didn't word that very well. What I meant was that many people online say Grip-Tite is easy to break due to some component inside being plastic. Since the set I mentioned just now is made to also work with Impact Wrenches, it must be pretty tough, and near impossible to break. The worst thing that would happen is that it won't get the bolt out. Grip-tite could be used as a daily socket in order to prevent stripping all together. But I'm not sure if its better to just get a good quality set with tighter tolerances, rather than using a gimmick set like Grip-tite.

When you go to loosen that stupid bolt, remember that you are working upside-down in mirror image
That's Right! I always have to think hard and long before I can get the proper way to turn. It's so easy to mess up on that one lol.

Btw. Any idea where to find a replacement bolt? Do Yamaha dealers carry those?
I believe so. I have seen them in an independent bike shop too.

They are expensive though since they have a hollow tube that goes up into the filter and forms part of the oil circulation system. Once I unloosened mine with the gimmick socket and a 30" pipe over the socket handle, I simply reused the bolt each time. If you only torque it PROPERLY to 11 ft. lbs. (I think), it comes off easily next time. Try it first, you may not need a replacement either.

So does the upside down mirror image mean that as your looking at the head from the front wheel you turn clockwise instead of counter?

I'm on an sohc so I only have for one bolt in the center of the filter cover

Back