Run without battery?

nickklugs

Seems legit
Reaction score
Is it possible to change out the alternator on an xs360 with something else that allows the bike to run without a battery? Also, if the battery is dead, then is it impossible to start the bike? :thumbsup: Oh and would the Banshee pma mod work on the xs360?

Thanks,
Nick

Last edited:
as far as starting with a dead battery (assuming you don't have a kickstart [I think they start with a dead battery]) you'd have to bump or pop start it.

Just like a manual car, get it rolling in gear with the clutch pushed in then pop the clutch, or release it quickly. Cars are a bit easier than bikes because there is more weight. With my bike (the seca) it took me pushing it at full sprint, down a steep hill then hopping on it and coasting till it gets to around 10 MPH then popping the clutch in second.

As far as the alternator question, I don't have the slightest clue.

and running the bike without a battery all together. ... maybe if you connect the positive and negative terminals (where they would connect to the battery) together, effectivly completing the circuit a dead battery would normally complete, and pop start like I said above but I wouldn't try that for fear of frying electrics.

The generators are pretty much identical between the SOHC models, 360 included.
The banshee PMA mod should be the same between the 400 and 360.

Once the PMA mod is working the battery can be removed and a small capacitor installed. Don't know the details on that one but there are plenty of details on the internet.

You can get some pretty small batteries without going to all the trouble of the PMA mod though.

PamcoPete makes a PMA kit for the 400, not sure the differences between the 360 and 400 though so hopefully someone else who knows more about that will pop in.

It depends on how low the battery voltage is on whether you'd be able to bump start it. Just barely dead (like from cranking and cranking etc) you might be able to bump it..otherwise you'll need to put it on a charger.

Edit: I took too long, BBS said it all.

I'm just on my phone so i dont have the link handy but there are some good threads on the PMA mod using the banshee parts. One of them did include a list of compatible parts.
The mod has been used extensively on other bikes and there are more than a few how-to threads online.

The PMA mod for XS bikes was really pioneered by xs650 riders. Their charging system is less reliable and subject to much more mechanical wear over time. Our bikes have brushless claw-pole alternators that aren't subject to the same wear factors. They're pretty bulletproof with the most common issue being the wire insulation degrading over time. An easy fix compared to the 650'same issues.
Oh with the Banshee alternator, does it matter the year and model of the unit? Along with the flywheel?
Apparently none of them. It's the stator plate you need from the banshee.
The stator and alternator come from the ZL600.

While it's for the 650, this PMA mod should come in handy: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5536
About halfway down the page there is a list of compatible stators, including the ZL600. I would think they should all work for the 360 or 400 since the ZL600 stator and flywheel appear in both mods.

It also states somewhere in there that any year of banshee stator plate will fit.
Keep in mind that the custom mounting plate for the stator plate used in that mod will NOT work since the 650 mounting points are different.

I keep wishing there were an easier pma mod for our bikes. A pma flywheel that would be a straight swap for our flywheel would make this mod incredibly easy. Looks like 99% of motorcycle flywheels run outside the stator though. I'd guess it's to keep the flywheel inertia high. Some sport bike riders intentionally swap in lighter flywheels though so a lighter flywheel might not be an impossible problem.

Back