Runnin Too Hot?

rodeofan5656

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
last night my neighbor (who knows alot about race quads but not so much about road bikes) told me that the bluing on the pipes and brownish-chrome color is because it's runnin too hot. he said its probably cause its runnin too rich or too lean...

when i got the airboxes off and opened up, i saw that the previous owner tore the foam off the filters, but left the screens on the insides. so i think he was goin for the open airbox thing. a ran both 87 and 91 octane gas thru it. with both octanes, it pops, backfires, and bogs down when i twist the throttle quick, unless the petcock is on PRI. any ideas of whats goin on? is it gettin alot of air, so it needs more fuel from the PRI? thanks

Attachments

• 120419_0004.jpg
    120419_0004.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 175
the "running lean?" thread isnt mine, and i didnt see it before i posted mine. but his is askin if its runnin lean. i just wanna know everythin that could be makin my bike do this

Definitely lean. I had an old honda that was doing similar things. I stuffed a T shirt in the box and it pulled more fuel. Try cupping your hand over the hole in the box and see if you can get it to react. It definitely needs all of the components of the intake to run properly, without modification.

alright. ill get some filters ordered and see how it does. may be alittle while, but ill get it fixed and let you know how it goes

Back