Seat advice.

Build one yourself. There are a ton of resources online for how to do it, and if you're worried about your upholstery skills, take it to a tailor or upholsterer who does furniture, explain what you're doing, and let them take a crack at it.

Build one yourself. There are a ton of resources online for how to do it, and if you're worried about your upholstery skills, take it to a tailor or upholsterer who does furniture, explain what you're doing, and let them take a crack at it.

It's fabricating the seat pan that I'm particularly worried about. I am not a welder, and I'm not sure what the next best method is. I mean, it's a fairly simple seat design.

You can make the pan out of plywood, and it would still work.

Or, take your stock pan (plastic), and cut it down or heat it up to bend it.

Or... Get some flat metal, and cut it to shape (no welding required, as you then just screw it down.)

Really, anything can work, as long as it will support the rider's weight. Look at your bike for mounting points on the frame that are either currently used, or could be used, and work from there.

Foam can be purchased at Michael's, as can spray glue, and even leather working tools.

Leather can be procured from the Salvation Army (look for cheap jackets.)

I'm not saying it's easy, but I think you'll have trouble finding an off the shelf seat that will work. If you build it yourself, you can get exactly what you want.

Oh, if you aren't already looking there, check out the www.dotheton.com board for other ideas.

You can make the pan out of plywood, and it would still work.

Or, take your stock pan (plastic), and cut it down or heat it up to bend it.

Or... Get some flat metal, and cut it to shape (no welding required, as you then just screw it down.)

Really, anything can work, as long as it will support the rider's weight. Look at your bike for mounting points on the frame that are either currently used, or could be used, and work from there.

Foam can be purchased at Michael's, as can spray glue, and even leather working tools.

Leather can be procured from the Salvation Army (look for cheap jackets.)

I'm not saying it's easy, but I think you'll have trouble finding an off the shelf seat that will work. If you build it yourself, you can get exactly what you want.

Oh, if you aren't already looking there, check out the www.dotheton.com board for other ideas.

Thanks dude! I have a fairly decent leather workshop already so the upholstery shouldn't be a problem. I'll definitely look into those options for the pan, though. I'm fairly confident with my mechanical abilities but for whatever reason the seat had me scratching my head. Haha.

Thanks dude! I have a fairly decent leather workshop already so the upholstery shouldn't be a problem. I'll definitely look into those options for the pan, though. I'm fairly confident with my mechanical abilities but for whatever reason the seat had me scratching my head. Haha.

Concur with bentwrench, also if you don't weld there is always a welder in town you can get to do the little if any welding you need. My pan only needed a few nuts welded so that it was easy to bolt on and take off. The pan itself was just a cutout piece of metal. To make the design we used cardboard then just trace it and use a hand grinder with a cutting blade and done.

i'd like to interject that fiberglass is incredibly easy to work with and seeing how this won't be a visual peice, its even easier.

You just cover the seat pan area with something semi rigid(cardboard with aluminum foil over it) and get it to the shape you'd like. Then just get some resin, poor a tiny bit into a throw away cup and add the right amount of hardener(2 or 3 drops probably). Stir it up, lay some fiberglass mat down, and dab the resin into the fiberglass. After 2 or 3 layers of this you have a nice simple pan.

Remove it from the bike, take the foil/cardboard off the back, and drill out the bolt holes. Place a washer over the hole(s), and lay down another 2 or 3 layers of fiberglass. Once its cured you just re-drill out the holes. You trim the fiberglass excess out, sand it down and paint it.

You're left with a pan that is strong enough to do its job, with metal reinforced bolt holes.

For some people welding is easier and faster, for others fiberglass is the ticket. Look into both and make the call :)

Not sure if this is a good idea, but that's why I'm posting it first! Instead of building a pan on the frame, would it be a good idea to make a pan mould using the bottom of my existing seat? pull all the hardware and bits off, and glass right over it, stopping at points that I would want my new seat to end. I mean, the general shape of the pan of the seat I first posted would not be much different from pan of the stock seat, and i can cut it to shape afterwards. Might be more of a perfect fit that way. Just a thought! Feel free to cut it apart.

7177755540_43d6a4397d.jpg

Shamus, I've been thinking about the same idea, since as you know...I have same seat as you. I've dismantled our seat, and once you get the four rim pieces off, you'll find the leather/vinyl is bolted thru in 4 places, then it's fanged in place with fang tabs all the way around. take that off and you just have that metal bowl. So You could mold it with fiberglass or someother molding compound, and reproduce it exactly...

Let us know. I'm curious about doing a seat for mine too now that I'm a google sketchup geek.

Best,

Drewcifer.
ps, sorry I didn't reply earlier. Money is lean and the shipping on the seat would hammer me. If you don't want the seat skin hang onto it. Things should be brighter next month.

Back