Seat Latch

TomFX4

Beginning Rider
Reaction score
So I'm working on getting my bike on the road and riding by this time next week. There are a few things holding me back, but mostly small stuff.

My seat currently does not latch. The previous owner just held it on with a bungee cord. I'm not about to do that, as it is very dangerous. Is there a common problem that the latches on these things break? I am fixing to order a new latch, but want to know if this is even possible.

The seat slides into place, and the bar on the right side goes in where it is supposed to. But it does not stay. The key hole for the helmet lock, does that also control locking the seat into place as well?

Thanks for the help!

Tommy

You may just be missing the spring for it.

Attachments

• DSC02917.jpg
    DSC02917.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 598
Thank you for your knowledge!

As soon as I get off work, I will check it out. Would the spring come with a new latch, or is it something MikesXS might carry?

Thanks,
Tommy

Hey Tom, yeah the key for the helmet lock release also controls the seat release if you turn the key counter-clockwise. It's easy to remove the whole thing and inspect/clean it by unscrewing the large phillips-head screws on either side of the hole that the seat tongue fits into.

Thank you for your knowledge!

As soon as I get off work, I will check it out. Would the spring come with a new latch, or is it something MikesXS might carry?

Thanks,
Tommy

No, and mikes don't carry them. It is a simple part that yamaha should have. Or you can google the part number and find it that way.

Hey Tom, yeah the key for the helmet lock release also controls the seat release if you turn the key counter-clockwise. It's easy to remove the whole thing and inspect/clean it by unscrewing the large phillips-head screws on either side of the hole that the seat tongue fits into.

The 80-82 sohc seat is different than the early ones that swing open from the side. These lift off the bike by pulling a lever.

I have a 1983 I just picked up and was wondering if the seat comes up with more storage? And if so how do you do it? Or if it doesn't how do you remove the seat? I tried what was said in this post but it didn't work. Sorry for the noob question! But any info would help Thanks. :thumbsup:

Back