Shed find, Now a daily driver

Donkey

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I got this 83 Maxim 400 out of a shed it sat in for over 10 years. I had the advantage of knowing the original owner. A front tire and carb cleaning. Little tlc and I have a daily driver. Recently I took it on a 2 day 600 mile trip around Wisconsin. (Avg. 57 mpg) I use it for work every day.

Anyone got a fender? That's all it needs.

Also I got a good deal on it so would anyone have a guess on a value?

Attachments

• 20140420_125144.jpg
    20140420_125144.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 333
  • 20140420_125158.jpg
    20140420_125158.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 349
  • 20140522_175713.jpg
    20140522_175713.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 317
I think I have a black maxim 400 fender back at home! have to see when I can make it back there, maybe find it a new home

Good lord it's brand new.
Around here, a well running bike with tires good enough for a full season of riding is always worth at least $1,000. With a new front tire and 6,000 miles, I would want $1200 - if I wanted to part with it.
But with only 6,000 miles, I likely wouldn't want to.

Good lord it's brand new.
Around here, a well running bike with tires good enough for a full season of riding is always worth at least $1,000. With a new front tire and 6,000 miles, I would want $1200 - if I wanted to part with it.
But with only 6,000 miles, I likely wouldn't want to.

It almost has 9,000 now. I have been riding the hell out of it. Runs superb

Looks great! My bike was nearly the same when I bought it last year. Sat in a barn for 20 years, had less than 5,000km on it.

Interesting that the speedo only goes up to 85mph? I know this bike can go beyond that, unless the US version is different.

Looks great! My bike was nearly the same when I bought it last year. Sat in a barn for 20 years, had less than 5,000km on it.

Interesting that the speedo only goes up to 85mph? I know this bike can go beyond that, unless the US version is different.

Never tried. Didn't want to push it too much the first year riding it. Still not comfortable riding for a long distance at 6000 rpm. Afraid of blowing it up.

... Still not comfortable riding for a long distance at 6000 rpm. Afraid of blowing it up.
LOL. Sounds VERY familiar. Newbie ears just aren't ready to accept something revving to 10k without it being a missed shift.
I highly recommend you switch the front sprocket from 16T to 17T. Losing 500 rpm at 60 mph makes a huge difference to your cruising enjoyment.

My story: http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7592

LOL. Sounds VERY familiar. Newbie ears just aren't ready to accept something revving to 10k without it being a missed shift.
I highly recommend you switch the front sprocket from 16T to 17T. Losing 500 rpm at 60 mph makes a huge difference to your cruising enjoyment.

My story: http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7592

Or you could move up to 17t in the front and 38 (from 35) in the back. Opposite effect on the RPMs, but it sure is quick and fun to ride!

Being a Maxim it is a 5 speed. Would changing the front sprocket make it a better hwy cruiser? I live in the country and would like to ride at 60 plus for longer periods.

Being a Maxim it is a 5 speed. Would changing the front sprocket make it a better hwy cruiser? I live in the country and would like to ride at 60 plus for longer periods.

Going up one tooth in the front (to 17t) will lower the RPMs at the same speed by about 500rpm (for example 60mph could be something like 5500rpm instead of 6000rpm), so yes it'll make it better/quieter on the highway.

If you go up a few teeth on the back as I suggested, that will RAISE the RPMs. Not great for highway riding if you want to lower RPMs, but it makes for a bit tighter gear ratio for quicker acceleration.

Would need the lower rpms for my driving needs. Went 600 miles in two days and worried the whole way about turning 6000 for 2 1/2 hours at a time. Don't know what the rpm these bikes are made to do for long periods of time.

Get over your fear and let it rev! You have a DOHC 400cc balanced twin, not a push-rod 1400cc v-twin that explodes above 6000 rpm. This engine was designed to rev happily to 10,000 rpm. Just because the bike is styled as a cruiser does not suggest you should ride it as one. :)

I wouldn't go changing the gearing until you have more experience riding the bike and have an understanding of how you will be riding it. The stock gearing will work fine for now. If in the future you find that you are only riding solo, with no extra baggage, and are often above the posted speeds, then you may want to drop the revs. Keep in mind that at 6000 rpm the engine is at the lower end of it's power band. The fun happens above 7000 rpm!

I (now) have no problems riding for an hour or more at 120 kph (75 mph) and ~7500 rpm on the hwy, which is the "normal" speed for traffic around here. And that is with me, fully geared up at ~220 lbs, and another ~50 lbs of gear in the tank bag, panniers and top box. As noted in my signature, I have changed the gearing on my bike to slightly raise the engine rpms. Top speed is not a concern for me, but traveling heavy and still being able to accelerate briskly, or traveling slowly off road, is my focus. Being able to keep up with much larger bikes, up to highway speeds, was also a factor. Nothing worse than having to catch up when riding with a group...

16VGTIDave Thanks. I have put 3000 on the bike this summer. All roads out by me are posted 55mph but we all do 60-65. Our freeways are posted 65, but again we all do 75. I would love to use my XS400K for 200 to 300 mile trips, but I wasn't positive this small of a bike could handle it. That is why I stayed at 6000 rpm @ 60mph.

Not used to the sound of 6000 plus. Next time out I will let it go and get it up to 75. (eeeek)

I also have changed the oil 3 times this summer trying to keep an old motor happy.

BTW looked at your pics. That thing is incredible!!

Last edited:
Nobody says you have to wind out 5th gear. Try second or third gear so you can get used to the sweet song she sings. Once you feel comfortable, then you can try running with traffic on the hwy!

Thanks Donkey, but your bike is the incredible one! It looks almost new. Give her a little TLC and she will be next to new!

It is hard to believe that mine once looked like that, but was neglected and abused until I got it. It was too far gone for a restoration, so I customized it. Each of the past 2 winters I've owned it, it has been significantly modified. First out of necessity, then out of desire to build the bike I wanted. Not sure what I'm going to do to it this winter. I have some things in mind, we'll see what the budget allows. ;)

Dave's bike is fantastic this year. Basically a BMW touring bike with a Yamaha 400 engine.
I agree with him too regarding getting used to things before you make any premature changes.

Once I got used to the notion that it wouldn't explode over 6k, I got to like the song when she sung soprano. And from 6+ up to 10 truly is where the fun is. I'm not too old to enjoy the rush you get at WOP up to the redline. But as Dave suggests, that's obtainable in 2nd and 3rd (and probably in 4th - I just wouldn't know).

I've never cruised on any bike on a limited access highway, or as fast as 75 mph on any road, but I have hit that speed accelerating up from nothing before backing off. My perfect cruising speed is 60 mph (or less). Being lighter (155) and seldom carrying anything but a few tools, I found I lost nothing in the way of excitement while accelerating in 2nd and 3rd, but really appreciated the song being more alto on a long lazy cruise after I put in the 17T.

Back