Shop Injuries?

cafenewb

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hey all,

So, I imagine it happens sooner or later to all of us. You've soldered your last wire and in a storm of excitement you grab the soldering iron thus burning yourself. Or, you rush through fabricating something and cut yourself on your angle grinder/saw. Or maybe you're using a plasma cutter or welder and hot metal drops down into your shoe.

A couple nights ago I was using my angle grinder in a tight spot and took a bit of skin off my thumb when the sucker kicked back a little. It just burned a little channel in my hand but I keep bumping it on stuff, and that sucks. Before that I was soldering some wires together in another tight spot and melted my plastic glove to my hand. I almost always try to wear leather gloves when i'm wrenchin'.

We all try to be safe working on our bikes, but we are also human therefore accidents happen. Similar to the "tell on yourself thread", this is one where you explain any shop related injuries you've gotten. So let's hear 'em.

13488_889198177851_635768588_n.jpg

A few years ago I completely removed one of my thumbprints with an angle grinder that had a wirebrush mounted. My thumb got sucked in between the brush and the guard.

I was lowering an engine into the car when I let the hydraulic down too fast trapping my hand between the engine and mount. bloody hurt that one.

screamed at my dad to pump it back up and all he wanted was the back story instead of raising the hoist.

ouch!! I don't think I want to read this thread to much as more stories surface. All I know is im always gonna be REAL careful with the angle grinder and other power tools!!

apart from ALWAYS hitting my knuckles against some sharp edge on the bike's engine or carbs any time I work on it, I haven't had any major injuries just yet. Hope to keep it that way. There should be a little bit of blood on any motorbike if you ask me :)

Oh boy I have way too many injuries,The most recent thing was I got a piece of hot metal burr in my cornea.That hurt but not as much as when I did logging work almost cutting my thumb off with a chainsaw that kicked backed.Having a tree fall on top you doesnt feel very good either.

Holy freeking crap I feel sorry for that dude:yikes:.I know he got called alot and was told alot very bad things.He may not have his fingers but he has guts to tell on himself and post images of what happened.

Just happen to remember something that happened to me last year while working on my campershell.I drilled a hole completely through my finger with a 1/16th drill bit.Then pulled my finger away as a reflex.That didnt feel to good and had to get some stitches out of the deal.

Back