Should I replace this sprocket?

arfstrom

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys, I suspected my drive sprocket is shot, so I took some photos, Prior to getting all the bugs worked out, of my bad little girl! ;) . Now that I am interested in driving it safely, does this look good, or is it as bad as I fear?:eek: I tried to get a good photo, that could be used to positively tell me its shot. Hoping not, :guns: Thanks
tobie

Attachments

• GEDC0206.jpg
    GEDC0206.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 215
  • GEDC0207.jpg
    GEDC0207.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 192
  • GEDC0208.jpg
    GEDC0208.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 188
  • GEDC0209.jpg
    GEDC0209.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 194
  • GEDC0210.jpg
    GEDC0210.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 178
  • GEDC0211.jpg
    GEDC0211.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 186
Get a mechanist to rebuild, there's none left not even after market and they have a patent so can't copy.

Will cost about 150$ to rebuild and balance

JT makes a cheap front sprocket; a lot of places carry them. I'd replace the one you're showing when you can; it looks a bit sharky. It is not particularly bad, just well worn.

If you're going to do it though, you may want to replace the front, rear, and chain at the same time for maximum life.

Last edited:
yep, I'm with BC, it's not toast but it will start hopping the teeth soon, and since it's pretty easy maintenance, I'd also order another chain and rearsprocket.

After which you'll finally get to enjoy the real torque of the bike.

ride safe

Drewcifer

guy's that sprocket is f*cked, get a new one now or the chain will go south and snap. cheap to replace, rd400 sprockets are the same hvc cycle stock 'em

need to replace chain and check rear sprocket too

As usual, if Drewp's says it's urgent, please take care of it. He's far more experienced than most of us. I haven't needed to replace mine yet, so I'm maybe out of line saying it's looking worn but not urgent.

So I guess get it done asap.

It would make a nice trivet or coaster.
Consider a 17T replacement if you'd enjoy losing 400 rpm at highway cruising speed.

:cheers: LOL That is good. All right, 17T hmmm, I found the chain, and 16t on Amazon. What would the benefit be to upgrade? 400 Rpm? No other down side/Upside?

Thanks

:Ninjastar: Ninjastar :ninja: :laughing:

:cheers: LOL That is good. All right, 17T hmmm, I found the chain, and 16t on Amazon. What would the benefit be to upgrade? 400 Rpm? No other down side/Upside? ... :Ninjastar: Ninjastar :ninja: :laughing:
I'm an old guy and wasn't likely to be riding the bike between 7k & 10k all the time. I liked to cruise along at about 55 mph much of the time and couldn't get used to it turning a touch over 5,500 at 55. I am much happier with it tuning 5,100 at 55.
Another advantage is being able to cruise through town without feeling I should up-shift to high gear all the time (nothing so un-cool as an old guy, on an old bike, revving through town like kid on a Ninja 250). :laugh:
The only downside for me is the odd time starting from a complete stop I will let the clutch out without revving it enough and it will lug for a second - the DOHC has no torque below 2,500. All the other shifts are great - don't notice any difference since the spacing between the 5 gears is only 1,000 rpm at 55.
There are several Threads on here about sprockets, including the one I started before I found the others. Everyone weighed in, including several folks with 6-spd SOHCs like yours. Worth the reading if you think you ride like me.

I've run a few sprockets that low on a few different bikes without any issue, but I'm not saying it's a good thing.

Perhaps I have not had any problems due to my obsession with adjusting the chain tension. I check the chain tension every day and adjust it every few hundred miles.

All right Lou, After reviewing quite a few post though out our forums. I will order the 17. Based on my want the bike to be safe, and everything else, I do expect to ride the bike at minimum 20 miles one way, and I suspect that saving that 400rpm will save MPG's. I did see some threads where their appeared to be an attempts to measure MPG saved. How, I got too tired to find the results, its getting late, and I am comfortable spending 13 bucks at amazon for this 17t.

http://www.amazon.com/JT-Sprockets-JTF424-17-Steel-Sprocket/dp/B001AVU3XC/ref=lh_ni_t
and 25 for the chain.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050INVLC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=A1TFBK3C7LO58P
Okay, I got my order in, $37.bucks, Be here on Aug2.
So another week
tobie

I have 2 photos of the rear sprocket, in the Gallery, It seems all right. I know of the 2 photos i only have about 3/4 of the sprockets visible. Which is a 37T. Amazon has 37, 38,39, 41, Teeth. Price range is 22-30 bucks. This can be an upgrade after christmas, The Front sprocket, is f*ckd:yikes: like drewpy said. Once I start driving it, I can report on MPG difference. I will of coarse have nothing to start with on the original gears, since I am not driving till after August 2.

full

full

Okay, I have started to drive it on the new front 17T sprocket. I have to report I do appreciate the difference of 5 gear, and 6 gear. Previous to the upgrade, I just never felt the difference of 5 gear, or 6 gear. now with the new sprocket. 6 gear is definitively its own gear!!!! and its does slow down the RPM's to roughly 400 rpms! I love the difference. So what is the difference with the rear sprocket? I suppose I wll look that up tomorrow AM. Thanks for the suggestion guys!!!!!!

Back