*shout out* Travelling thru Estern Europe on a Yamaha xs400F 1979

birk

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Eastern Europe Emergancy (EEE?)

Hello guys!

I have been planning a trip to eastern Europe the last one and a'half year. This year in may i took off from Denmark; first stop, Poland. I went to all the bigger city's with a personal interest in polish cultur, from there to the High Tatra Mountains, down trough slovakia and further on to Hungary. The last month, i have travelled Romania, down thru the transylvanian mountains, going over the Transfăgărășan and with that last week spended at the black sea. All-in-all, it has been hell of a ride, with over 4000 km, stretching over almost three month. All done on this beauty.
10581260_10204199240960590_120290755_n.jpg

(taken from the northern side on one of europas' best mountain roads)

But as I reached Bucharest, driving into the city around 1 o'clock at night, the compression went off and it fell dramatically in speed and acceleration. I drew a bit further, having had it to the mechanic, thinking it could be the slightly creativ repair on one of the carburetors (glue and a pice of raincoat on a hole in the Carb Diaphragm) so in the middle of the city i took apart the carbs and made sure that everything was responding and flowing, putting it back together and as i sat up again, crossing my fingers. It still had problems, and to make the story short, I called autohelp and the following day, got the news that the cylinder tube had been overheated and expanded.

So my good Gents, I'm making a shout out to any member on this site, living, being or knowing anything about parts, where to get them. As of now i'm (of cause) still in București heading for croatia, -just trying to figure out my possibilities. I hope there is somebody with the the hint or part out there. It's my first bike and I would hate to leave it, so far from home.
10329241_10203851832515596_7314352744553133385_n.jpg

(sidenote: it's a 2A2)
Best of
-Jakob

Last edited:
Sounds like an awesome trip! Sorry I can't help but good luck!

Thanks man. It has been a fantastic experince, sleeping in tent all over Europe n' meeting the most strange and friendly people. I'm on my way home, just catching croatia on the way.

It's maybe around 2,5k km back home, so even if there should be a more "creative" solution, it would be much appreciated. I was thinking if it would be possible to change the piston rings, making them a tiny bit bigger?

I have Std. size rings...used of course. They are on the limit of clearance. But I suppose yours are over limit...

It a shame you didn't come to Czech rep.:)

haha, that is mildly put, but yea.

But who knowes, might just last the trip home on one cylinder... ha. But Czech isnt that much of a detoure, lets see if i manage to fix it some how. If not, please people, just start bidding in what you need of spare parts ( damn that is gonna hurt), but better knowing whats worth saving then just leaving it!

Back