Slipping clutch $$$ ?

NRA-

XS400 Member
Reaction score
What do you think? Was quoted $444.00 Seems high to me, but what am I going to do? They did say it looked like normal wear and tare, only a little over 8,000 mi. on it. That's for an '82' 400 Maxim btw.

I have very limited experience but I would say that they are charging $380 for 1 hours labour. Unless the price includes the clutch springs, metal plates, oil filter, side cover gasket, clutch cable.

When I replace my clutch I spent about $150 on parts & that included a full gasket kit & shipping from UK to Australia.

I recommend doing it your self & spend the savings on important stuff like tires or nudie bars. :thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

I only remember him saying they were ordering springs, and plates. If it is still in the ballpark they quoted, am going to suggest they re-evaluate the charges, and let them know there will be at least one blog about it if they are ripping me off. Well something like that. I just want to be treated like everyone else, not get ripped off because I am not yet knowledgeable about pricing practices.

I do have another cycle for parts, just don't consider myself a mechanic, and wanted it up and running as soon as possible. I could have probably had it on the road all ready, if I didn't need to order parts.

Thanks Pork Chop.

that seems really high!! The job can not be more than two hours tops. pork chops right that they must have an extremely high labor per hour charge. The cover has like fifteen allen bolts. then i think like six bolts holding the clutch on. so not alot there. the foot peg and kick start must be removed to access the clutch. the labor should only be around two hours.

Is this a major dealer or a small shop? There is a local dealer around me that charges double what another local smaller operation does. My advice is to shop around or do it yourself.

Replacing a clutch is an easy job,just remove the cover,six screws,then the plates are right there.8,000 miles is not many miles for a clutch unless it's been run mis-adjusted or hot-rodded with lots of clutch slipping burn-offs.When you remove the clutch plates[you do have a manual,don't you ?] pay attention what comes off first.check the thickness of the fibre plates,and the flatness of the steel plates.The fibre plates must measure at least2.7mm[0.106 in.]. lay the steel plates on a piece of glass and use a feeler gauge of 0.05mm[0.002 in]lay the plate on the glass and measure with the feeler gauge.The plates can be had at Lytles Racing as can the springs.Put it back together,tightening the screws holding the springs to just good and snug,but gradually in a cris-cross manner.Check the basket for burrs where the fibre plates sit in the grooves. Also check the gear teeth for chips etc. and fix if necessary.This is not a hard job if you have a manual,and follow the instructions. lha

Yeah I would think it should be no more than 200 bucks including parts and labor. Ask them for a break down of the parts and how many hours they are charging and their rate.

I've heard a lot of dealerships only want to work on the new stuff so when these old bikes come in, they quote really high prices so you go away and they don't have to mess with it. I've heard of a guy being quoted $750 to get a rack of carbs cleaned on a late '70s bike (inline 4). Another shop was doing them for about $275.

Having said all of that, I would buy the parts yourself and give it a shot. It's not all that hard and you'll learn a thing or two about your bike in the process.

You're right Travis,on these old dinosaurs,We're on our own.With the free for the downloading manual,really anybody can do a clutch job,just keep in mind not to dig too deep and fix stuff that's not broken. lha

I've heard a lot of dealerships only want to work on the new stuff so when these old bikes come in, they quote really high prices so you go away and they don't have to mess with it.

They sure do! Last year when I wanted my new tires mounted and balanced I got responses from dealers such as "Did you buy the tires from us? No, sorry" and "Sure we'll do it for $80 a wheel". Found a local Indy that did it for $20/wheel.

I change mine in about 15-20 minutes on a piece of carpet on my living room floor,then balance them in my shop. lha

Did my clutch last month took about an hour start to finish and cost me about $100 Thats for pads plates and springs.:)

OnePhate has a point,but what is being described with the clutch,it's maybe too late to fix with an oil change,but I think I'd try. With motorcycle oil,and with the clutch tied open[disengaged] and run for a while,maybe it could possibly remedy itself? If it's been run very long with the clutch slipping,it's toast,my opinion but I've been wrong. One time I thought I was wrong,but I wasn't!HaHa!!! lha

Back