Slow speed is boggy.

buzzstpoint

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Carb dipped and cleaned. Every seal and o-ring has been replaced. I've benched synced and manometer synced the carbs.

Acceleration is great. And speeds above 25ish are fine. Seems like if I am slower then20 or low rpm the engine is boggy and jerky. Have to feather the throttle then it gets a burst of speed.
As of now the idle air screws are about 3 turns out.

Any ideas ?

Now that you mention it. I did notice at one point being able to grab the left pipe at idle. Heat started to come in after I gave it some "gas".

You may be too rich on the pilot circuit also. Try 2 turns and see what happens and check the plugs for color.

I agree that it could be too rich. Clean your plugs and put them back and ride it around a while under 25, then see if they come out rich or not.

Also - could it be a vacuum leak? or fuel starvation thing/petcock issue?

Dark, I dipped my carbs in Chem-Dip for a couple of days each. But I wont rulo out a blocked passage.

Rec, I'll remove the plugs clean/Dry them. New plugs but should be able to tell.
Vacuum line has been replaced. Only one is to the petcock. I never rebuilt it, as it seemed to work properly.

I have a day off on Friday. I have to get this running nice as my wife is asking me to take her on a ride.

It has to be idle mix. To lean. after trying and trying. I reset the idle screws and started to richen. It got Better.

Still chugs at about 5-10 mph and seems to have a "dead" spot in the throttle what you are 1st starting out. I just have to keep adjusting.

Sounds like you need larger pilots. Not getting enough fuel on < 1/4 throttle. Sounds like your compensating this fact by richening the idle circuit. I did the same mine are at 4 1/2 turns out because im too lazy to deal with larger jets :D

Back