Smoke from exhaust... normal or no?

homin

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So when i start my bike and rev the engine a bit, smoke comes out but when i have the bike running for a while and rev it, nothing comes out... normal or no?

Sounds like a bit of oil running down the valve stem from a bad seal and or a valve guide. Then it burns off after a bit. I would just check the oil before you ride and keep it full. If the bike has sat a while it may clear up a bit with a few oil changes and some long rides. If it smoked all the time I would be concerned. That would be piston/rings issue or all the above too.

However, if you are burning oil, there will come a point where your sparking will suffer, and perhaps your plugs get fowled, and then you'll need to take your head off and address your problem.

a little oil is not going to fowl your plugs. excessive oil will. if it looks like a bug spraying truck your going to need to fix it. and you can fix vavle seals without removing the head. use a compression tester hooked to a air supply good pressure, i always use 150psi. this will hold the vavle closed, engine has to be rotated to the compression side to seal. then remove the vavle retainers and springs to get to the seals. repeat on all vavles.

Back