Smoking cigs UUGH!

Scorpio1963

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Siting here adding up how much dam $ Im burning up in smoke something has to change.I need to quit which I have made several attempts at.My best was I quit for 11 years and started again when I got with wicked which I met after my divorce 15 years ago.I quit again 2 years ago for a year then a close family member died and started back up.Now I have been smoking for 1 1/2 years.Several of friends or aquaintances have quit recently and have been smoke free for a month or two.I tryed the chantix and nicorete gum which both give me realy heavy duty bizzare dreams that I cant handle:yikes:.I think the only way i could do it is just get away from the stresses of life fora couple of weeks on a fishing/camping trip.I know for fact there are less nonsmokers than smokers!.If I could only conquer this demon :banghead:I would have alot more $ to spend on my bike or something more usefull.Im amking this a challenge and a goal once again,I have to do this not just for me but for my Mrs. also.Wish me luck.

Best of luck Scorpio. They say it can't be done until you really want to do it for you and not for anything else. If that's where your head is at, then you will be successful.

May I suggest you make a game of it. Write down how many you have been averaging per day and calculate the cost of each one. Then keep a count each day. For every one you don't have on a given day, take the money and buy that much gas for your bike and burn it up that day (next if it's raining). Don't try to save the money for the first month or so - buy the extra gas and ride the extra miles :bike: (bonus = you can't smoke while you are riding).
A good game to play with yourself as basically, you double your winnings if you play well.
Plus, all the fooling around with the pen and paper will keep your hands "busy" when you are not riding.

Or maybe what you can do is every time you have a smoke you have to have a beer and one shooter with it too? Then it will just become too expensive to maintain on a regular basis :)

My fiancee couldn't stand the smell and wouldn't want to be close to me if I smelled like smoke. Ended up maybe smoking one or two cigs a day and none on the weekends to prevent coming home smelling and tasting like an ashtray, and then it was relatively easy to quit. Maybe tell the Mrs. to enforce a no-contact rule, then you can pick. No love, or no smokes. Worked for me..

My Mrs has been around cig smokers all her life which isnt good.She might as well be smoking with me.Dam problem I quit I eat then I get fatter.I get fatter its harder the hell to shake off the weight I put on.Im already 25lbs or so heavier than my norm.214lbs.I should be about 190.Mornings are the worst I drink a pot of coffee when I get up and got to have the cigs with my coffee.:banghead:

...Mornings are the worst I drink a pot of coffee when I get up and got to have the cigs with my coffee.:banghead:
So, drink just half the pot then run, don't walk out to the bike and go for a ride. The adrenalin will be a substitute for the caffeine in the second half of the pot and without the 2nd half you won't need the cig until you are out riding and with the extra gas you bought from the day before, you won't have time for the cig.
If you slip, fine yourself - no gas for a ride. If you fail, then at least you will learn what your true priorities are and then you can just enjoy the cigs and stop beating yourself up.

Got exteremely bad knees and DDD in my back plus a titanium rod all the way down the bottom of my left leg.I dont run anywhere maybe walk fast thats about it.

Chlorinated watter with other people who have probaly peed in the water YUCK!I wont swim in a public pool.I just have to wait till Late July or August for the lake and the big river to warm up,thats where I go swimming.

So Im trying out these ecigs today.They`re ok and they give the feeling you actualy smoking.Heres what I dont get they still have nocotine in them.Isnt that one of the reasons why to quit smoking.You dont want the nocotine and all the other nasty stuff thats in cigs.How do you break the addiction of noctine ?I sure in the heck wouldnt waste $60 for a pack of these things.

Tryed the ecigs they suck and dont last very long.Not having much luck in quitting either but I did find a way of supporting my habbit cheaper.Here they sell bags of cigerete tobacco and pipe tobbaco.They have a high tax on the cig tobbacco but not on the pipe tobbaco.So at $5 a bag which last me week compared to $15 its alot cheaper.I wont usualy smoke the pipe tobbaco but i found a brand thats very smooth and I can tolerate it.

what are drug and alcohol users then?I do niether allthough Im trmpted to drink a beer or two(Wifes fault))):laugh:That there must be alot of weak cig smokers cause when I quite before nonsmokers out number non smokers by quite a bit.

E-cigs do have nicotine but the idea is that the tobacco itself, all the burning plant matter and the additives for preservation and whatever else they are doing, is what causes all the health issues. Nicotine is just a chemical that CAUSES the addiction. When you say "No, I don't want a cigarette" and then you start to argue with yourself and end up having a smoke, that's actually your body wanting the nicotine, not the tobacco.

The purpose of an e-cig then is to give you the chemical satisfaction of smoking without the smoke, therefore making it a preferable alternative to tobacco products. Once you make the switch you start weening yourself off the e-cigs.

It replaces one bad habbit with another thats slightly less-bad for you, kinda sucks but it's a gradual process. I like Lou's idea. You need to reward yourself somehow, and you need to replace the habbit with another one, like walking with your wifey ;)

What the devastator said! A switch down from all components of the smoke to just the nicotine is a reduction.
Your switch to pipe tobacco could also be a reduction IF you end up having fewer because of the mechanics of loading the pipe and all the other fooling around that goes with it. Some of that ritual apparently replaces some aspects of the habit.

IF I ever get my bike fixed up and running decent again I can go for long rides then i wont be able to smoke:thumbsup:As it is the darn thing is frustrating me so i smoke more.:banghead:

What if you give your pack to your wife and tell her how many you want to smoke during the day, then she can give them to you whenever you ask but only up to a point?

I think the most important thing about trying to make a decision and stick to it is that you say it outloud at a moment when you are thinking clearly. Then, when you are faced with the fight against the addiction you can think back to when you definitively decided -- while of sane mind hahha -- what you wanted to do. Adds a lot of weight

Back