So I decided to Ride to work today

petei

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Got up this morning ad looked out side, it was misty but nothing too menacing. I decided i'd ride to work which is about 45mins away. Got on my bike and started riding damn it was cold should have worn the warmer gloves. but it was goping well had her going 105 km/h fine. got up to 135 at one point. but little did i know what a awaited me

I work and at a mine an the last 15-20 minutes are up hill and part way up i run into Snow:yikes:. I'm from Quebec and i'm still not used to taking account altitude changes into weather conditions, it never occurred to me...

this is my first time riding over 25 minutes, i'm a new rider. Man was it annoying and cold and wet. I made it though! :bike:

Attachments

• DSC01245.JPG
    DSC01245.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 354
Another DOHC'R!!! Yay!! Good ride! :) I like to sit around 105-115kmh (I'm pretty sure thats right. like 62-68mph) on the freeway myself.

Whats your RPM's around 100kmh?? I'm thinking about changing sprockets to get the rpm's down some because my bike feels like its got plenty of power but runs out of RPM's too fast.

That looks like it would be a beautiful ride.

Yes, get good windproof gloves with sleeves if you're going to ride in the cold (they should be like gauntlets for colder riding.)

And if you ever find you're getting chilled, pull over, warm up, and buy a newspaper. Put it over your chest and zip up your jacket. It's the wind that strips the heat from your body. Plastic bags in the boots also help windproof your feet.

I used to ride year round in Toronto. By the end of my time there, I had balaclavas, leather neck protectors, and many tricks and tips.

thanks for the advice, you learn quickly while riding.
I bought my gloves before i started riding and regret the purchase
they will be great for city riding in traffic but for my cross Canada trip. I've pirfered some water/windproof green chemical gloves from work so they should help a lot on the way
home.
Green-PVC-Double-dipped.jpg

i have a scarf that helps a lot but i think i might pick up a balaclava.
and i definitely plan on getting waterproof boot covers.

If you can find one, pick up something wind proof for your neck. Some piece of scuba gear will do it, for instance.

For your cross country ride, you'll only need to worry about the mountains. In August and September, your bigger issue will be dehydration. You may want to consider finding a camel pack for water.

When I visited my brother in Washington state it rained the whole 4 days we were there. We broke down two bikes in his garage and stripped out carbs and I went for a ride in his wet/cold weather gear. it was Dry and comfortable in it, but My face was blasted with cold air through the cracks in the helmet. The cold wet air sucked the heat out of my hands while we worked on the bikes.

I can highly recommend a pair of polyester thermals. Don't get the cotton longjohn style as they're not wicking.

Any cheap rain suit will work as a wind barrier too. The moving air as stated above, is what get's you so cold. For me I have great gear I got at the thrift store, some snowboarding pants and a mens jacket that's water resistant with a nice liner inside, both black, but I still get very cold air in through the wrist elastic weave. Gauntlet gloves would be a great thing to have. It gets surprisingly cold and damp here by the ocean at night.

thanks for the advice guys!
the ride home was awesome. Sunny and much warmer. definitely worth the cold ride up.
I did wear my poly long john top i think i'll wear the bottom two next time.
my pants are waterproof but some water gets into the boots and lower pants so some boot covers will work perfectly.

Yeah, wind is bad, but any water will just sap you. As I said though, on the trip, if you get a leak, keep some plastic bags. Even if your socks are soaked through, plastic bags will save your heat if you put them over your wet socks, and into your boots.

Riding across this huge country is an adventure for a reason. Be prepared, and good thing you're getting lots of practice.

Yeah i want to explore as much of BC as I can before i go. Jasper, whistler, Bella Coola, barkerville are all on the list.

Now that I think of it, some big woolly sky socks defeat the wet on rainy days pretty well too. I have bagged my feet entirely before. On really rainy days it's fast to use plastic supermarket bags.

Back