So, I need a new chain ...

Ya know, for an '82 XS400J ... they aren't presenting any gear ratio for 6th gear.

That's because the XS400J (Maxim) only has 5 gears.
The XS400RJ (Seca) has 6

A per the manual

Transmission:
Primary Reduction System -- Gear
Primary Reduction Ratio -- 89/29 (3.068)
Secondary reduction System -- Chain
Secondary reduction ratio -- 38/16 (2.376)

Operation
Gear Ratio

1st --41/15 (2.733)
2nd --37/19 (1.947)
3rd --34/22 (1.545)
4th --31/25 (1.240)
5th --29/28 (1.036)
6th --27/29 (0.931)

Hope this helps.

So the answer to your question..
You have 16 teeth on the front sprocket.

Last edited:
Why would you need to change the speedo? changing gear ratios doesn't effect it as it's driven off the front wheel

I have my chain/sprockets on hand (ordered off of ebay). I was little bummed to read "made in china" on the chain's box but whatever.

Do I need any special tools for this job?

If the chain is too long,you'll need a chain breaker to shorten it. If it fits,then the pliers are correct. lha

All is well. The new chain be on! I learned a ton.

It already has a master link. The guy who helped insisted on both the tool AND grinding. All worked out :)

Well, I'm thinking I'll just stay stock after all.

However, I'm not sure how many teeth are up front / in back for my specific model. I'll go count witmefingas.

Yamaha site has drawings and matching part number for every machine they ever sold in the U.S.
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/m...L2hvbWUuYXNweA==/Parts Catalog/starthere.aspx

The front sprocket on your RJ shows to be a 16 tooth [find it in the transmission section] and 38 on the rear [rear wheel section]. That looks like about normal for all their 400's.

If I pushed the right buttons on the calculator one tooth more or less on the front is about 6% difference in the RPM's at a given speed. Remember these bike were built when 55MPH was the legal max;)- they aren't engineered to run at 70 all day long.

Every sprocket I ever handled had a number stamped into the steel - saves counting:D. If the maker didn't care enough to mark it I'd wonder about the quality.

Aluminum sprockets? :wtf: Maybe on flat out racers where every ounce counts and the factory foots the bill. But for those of us with thiry-year-old bikes and shallow pockets who go more than a few hundred miles metween complete tear-downs - steel is the only way to go. Titanium? Sure, if I worked in the aircraft plant and the boss wasn't looking :eek: but on this planet?.

Last edited:
Back