So I traded for a 80 400special. Here goes nothing

NoahH

XS400 Member
Reaction score
First thing let me say this site is bad ass. I've already learned so much and haven even posted yet! So I traded my four wheeler for a 1980 XS400 Special. Previous owner said it sat for 10 yrs before he got it. He said the plungers had shrunk in the original carbs and he bought some used carbs off EBay but they needed tweaking. He also says he replaced master cyl and the clutch (but it didn't really need it)...What ever that means?
Anyway, It would start up and rev high, but it started.Then I noticed a vac line off and carb boots cracked, the vac plugs have holes. After a hour or so I got it running smooth took it for a short ride around the block. The front brakes felt like they were stuck, so I just parked it and started stripping the the frills off it.
The first thing I noticed after taking off the carbs to inspect them was the prev Owner had broken a bolt off on/in the carb/bracket as well as broke the carb itself around a second bracket bolt hole...yes I said a second hole. Luckily he handed me a box of parts and the manual. I found most of the old carbs in the box and started inspecting them and it would seem that the ones I have on there now are laid out a little different then the ones I found. (Like fuel inlet and throttle on different sides).
So that is where I'm at with it.
It seems if I can secure make sure the one carb won't move then I could use it till I figure out the partial set. What do you guys think?
Oh yeah, I'm thinking maybe tracker / bobber. Something really bare looking.
Well that's my introduction. I am sure you will be hearing lots of questions from me as this is my first build/mod.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 339
Welcome to the funny farm, ha...Looks like you have a bad carb there, but from what you describe having spare carbs shouldn't be a problem replacing that one from the junk pile..There are more people then me out there who hopefully will chime in and help...Your bike lots a lot better then the one I picked up a month ago. Keep at it,nice bike..Spad

Welcome!

I'd say if you can get that working carb to be a little more solid (use some JB weld or something) that would be the way to go. If it works with these carbs, why not use them :shrug:

As for the other carbs, if you post some pics we may be able to tell you which are the stock version for your special.

click for some tips

An update on my progress. Got the frame and motor painted. When I tried to push on kick starter it moved smooth the first time but a second push (w/o plugs) and it won't budge. The oil is drained rt now mind you but, shouldn't it still move? I haven't opened the motor as it was running when I started. Tho I didn't try the kick just the elec. Anybody have an idea?

Posted via Mobile

For all we know, anything might have happened. Pull the plugs, pull the LH side cover, and see if you can very carefully rotate the engine backwards a tiny bit (CW). Since the cam chain tensioner is not designed to work with reverse rotation, be extremely careful so the chain doesn't jump a tooth. If that seems to indicate something, then:

I'd check the electric starter motor first. It or the overrun clutch behind the LHS cover could easily do this.

If not that, then the fun starts:

If you had it running, I'd guess it is something under the right hand engine cover where the primary drive/clutch is, unless something got into the intake port and past the valve. Pull the plugs and look.

For all you know, you have a bent shift fork and are in two gears at once. So by pulling the RHS cover (oil is already out) you can pull the clutch pressure plate, and clutch disks. That separates the problem from the engine and transmission. Or just pull the handle. But for all you know, the clutch is toast as well. Prove each step before moving on to the next.

Good luck. Probably not from lack of oil. There should be plenty remaining for slowly turning over the engine, but certainly not spinning it with the e-start or actual starting. There's a guy on here that was selling his carbs. I considered them, but have halted the work just now for other reasons. look on the for sale page.

Last edited:
introducing "Roadie" !!!! Finally I got her back together. Still have some finishing touches to do. But I figured it was time to update some pics. Going for kind of rat rod/madmax kinda look.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 295
Well it will have to wait till I get to my computer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 318
Back