Some charging numbers

xs400newb

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Bike not charging.

I have some numbers hopefully someone can give me an opinion one. I've read through most of the other postings on this topic and haven't encountered this situation.

The resistance between the 3 white wires is 0.9 ohms. (slightly out of spec)
The resistance between the brown and green wires is 3.9 ohms. (in spec)

The rectifier tests out ok according to the service manual test. The regulator is solid state so I can't test it. Anyways, lets assume its good.

When I check the AC voltage between any of the white wires and ground I get 0 volts on the dot. For each of the wires.

Furthermore, there is no magnetic force between my screw driver and the stator when the bike is on.

Any ideas? Even though my alternator resistance is out of spec I don't think thats it. Its only off by 0.2 ohms, which admittedly is 28% but its warm out today and I don't trust my meter that much for low resistnace anyways.

Best,
Adam

New information.

I put my ammeter in series with the green wire which connects the field coil to the voltage regulator and no current is flowing with the key on.

I then disconnected ONLY the green wire and connected it to the battery to see if I could feela magnetic field near the stator plate cover. There was nothing.

Then I re-connected the green wire and unblocked the black wire coming from the field coil and connected it directly to the + battery terminal and I did feel the magnetic field.

Whats up?

Agreed. I just connected the black wire coming from the field coil directly to the + terminal of the battery and while the bike was running and the voltage across the battery immediately shot up.

I'm going to pick up an R-292 generic voltage regulator tomorrow from the local auto parts store. That should fix everything up nicely.

Let this be a warning to others with the same symptoms!

Adam

WAIT.

It appears that the R-292 will not work with a 1980.

I've read conflicting information. Anyone know a suitable plug and play solution?

Best,
Adam

Back