Some cool shiny stuff

Greasey Fingers

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Spent all morning polishing, lol. This just consumes your life by the end of it:laugh:

Attachments

• DSC04363.jpg
    DSC04363.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 323
  • DSC04364.jpg
    DSC04364.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 329
  • DSC04365.jpg
    DSC04365.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 327
  • DSC04366.jpg
    DSC04366.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 307
  • DSC04367.jpg
    DSC04367.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 301
  • DSC04368.jpg
    DSC04368.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 300
  • DSC04374.jpg
    DSC04374.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 314
  • DSC04373.jpg
    DSC04373.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 305
  • DSC04372.jpg
    DSC04372.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 314
  • DSC04371.jpg
    DSC04371.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 315
  • DSC04370.jpg
    DSC04370.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 299
  • DSC04369.jpg
    DSC04369.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 316
Yeah I know what you mean its tedious, but im the sort of person that if I get obsessed with something ill do whatever until I reach what it is I want to acheive, lol. In this case it just happens to be polished triple/forks/brakes etc. So I guess you got to really want the polished look to go through the tedious process of getting it...or just pay someone hundreds of dollars and get them to do it, and you would get a more professional looking result that way too.

And yes I definatly got the bug Pork, lol. Once ive finish all my polishing on the bike ill probably get PPS (post polishing syndrome).

What's your process? I would have guessed it would take more than a morning to do all those pieces.

I started EARLY in the morning:laugh: You could probably do everything in the pictures comfortably in 6-7 hours I think? Luckily I wrote the process down in the tear down thread, heres the process:

1- Apply the part with paint stripper if painted (be sure to cover or remove any rubber seals)
2- Wait 15min and hose off all paint stripper with water and let dry,get the part as clean as possible using a wire wheel on a bench ginder
3- Start with 400 grit wet/dry sand paper and apply small amounts of wd40 or oil onto surface and work away at it sanding it smooth and get it nice
4- Take it down to 800 grit, and then clean with turps or degreaser and wipe dry
5- Buff it with black compound on a benchgrinder with a buffing wheel
6- Buff again with green compound
7- Remove any wax(buffing compound) with turps and wipe part clean/dry with a rag
8- For a high shine, now polish with a cream metal polish such as 'autosal', just follow the directions on the tube
9- Polish off with a soft clean rag, the harder and faster you polish here the brighter the shine becomes

So the hard work is the sanding part, and thats where you get the results. How well you sand with the 400 & 800 grit determines how good the part will come up.

Attachments

• DSC04363.JPG
    DSC04363.JPG
    5.5 KB · Views: 432
Last edited:
I started EARLY in the morning:laugh: You could probably do everything in the pictures comfortably in 6-7 hours I think? Luckily I wrote the process down in the tear down thread, heres the process:

1- Apply the part with paint stripper if painted (be sure to cover or remove any rubber seals)
2- Wait 15min and hose off all paint stripper with water and let dry,get the part as clean as possible using a wire wheel on a bench ginder
3- Start with 400 grit wet/dry sand paper and apply small amounts of wd40 or oil onto surface and work away at it sanding it smooth and get it nice
4- Take it down to 800 grit, and then clean with turps or degreaser and wipe dry
5- Buff it with black compound on a benchgrinder with a buffing wheel
6- Buff again with green compound
7- Remove any wax(buffing compound) with turps and wipe part clean/dry with a rag
8- For a high shine, now polish with a cream metal polish such as 'autosal', just follow the directions on the tube
9- Polish off with a soft clean rag, the harder and faster you polish here the brighter the shine becomes

So the hard work is the sanding part, and thats where you get the results. How well you sand with the 400 & 800 grit determines how good the part will come up.

Wow... I think I decided not to do it at about step 5. :laugh:

omg just did the LOWER triple what a prick :laugh: Its a much rougher cast so you need to sand a lot more. I started with a pretty course sandpaper then went onto the wet & dry. Do not try this at home folks:D

Attachments

• DSC04378.jpg
    DSC04378.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 333
Ha ha ha, yeah they suck.
My lower triple had 4 different colour layers of paint on it. I killed a josco abrasive nylon brush wheel stripping it.

I would have filed off the casting marks on upper tree, otherwise nice work.

Okay, not casting marks, that's another thing, I realize now. Idk how they call those but what I meant was that:

DSC04368.jpg

Molding defects or whatever.

after attempting to shine up my cases the other weekend..gotta say..some fine work there Greasey:thumbsup: I ended up going for the "brushed al" look:laugh:

Back