Sounds pretty good for straight pipes

bcXS400-81

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is NOT my bike, and if the owner is on here I hope he doesn't mind me posting the vid.

Thought I'd post this, as it looks like a cool build, and I always thought the smaller displacement bikes sounded terrible with straight pipes, but this actually sounds pretty good.

Anyone on here running straight pipes? How does it perform/sound? Still trying to figure out what I wanna do for exhaust.

This is NOT my bike, and if the owner is on here I hope he doesn't mind me posting the vid.

Thought I'd post this, as it looks like a cool build, and I always thought the smaller displacement bikes sounded terrible with straight pipes, but this actually sounds pretty good.

Anyone on here running straight pipes? How does it perform/sound? Still trying to figure out what I wanna do for exhaust.

Just got my straight piped cafe running today ! Its obnoxiously loud not sure if I like it...

I dig it man, think it sounds really good. Great job on getting that thing running with the single carb setup.

Where I live consistently has the highest number of fatal motorcycle accidents each summer in the province, and some of the worst drivers I've seen anywhere (I know everyone says their city has the worst drivers, but this has been confirmed statistically haha). So I don't care about obnoxious if it means some well-heeled soccer mom doesn't crush me under her Porsche Cayenne.

Dang, I didn't know that about BC!! I gotta brag though, I've never been in a fender bender :) I like the sound but there is something to be said about not pissing off the whole neighborhood when you come home after 1am.

I'm running a custom 2-1 into a small, short canister with a silencer, but no foam inside. I think it's at the upper part of bearable/obnoxious and I come from straight piped 4 banger race cars

Suggestion on the noise, keep the straight pipes and put "lollipops" in the pipes for baffles. Then you can tune them easily, you'll get a bit of back pressure and it'll prevent the popping on deceleration. I put a set on mine and you can get it quite quiet. I like mine obnoxious but put them on so I can tune it for when I'm in town to prevent hassles.

Suggestion on the noise, keep the straight pipes and put "lollipops" in the pipes for baffles. Then you can tune them easily, you'll get a bit of back pressure and it'll prevent the popping on deceleration. I put a set on mine and you can get it quite quiet. I like mine obnoxious but put them on so I can tune it for when I'm in town to prevent hassles.

So that simple "lollipop" will quiet it down noticeably? Did you buy a kit or just buy some eyelets form the hardware store ?

It seems to. It is no substitute for a muffler but it'll take the edge off. I just used a couple of large washers with about 1/2" hole and a couple of bolts welded to them and some thumb nuts. Seems to work. Easy to do and if you don't like it it costs about 25c

some peeps weld a thread either side on the washer and then it can be turned (tuned?)inside the pipe to suit the bike/owner.

Figured I would bump this post rather than make a new one.

I would like to run straight pipes by welding on a bit more pipe after I cut the mufflers off, and thinking of running some baffles like this:
http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/p1329...ffles-for-1-3-4-quot-exhaust-pipes-universal/

Anyone ever run these or know how they help with backpressure and sound? My bike will be a weekend bike so im not too worried about the sound, plus I love the look.

^I too have been curious about baffles like that. For the price, if they work it'll definitely be worth doing it it quiets it down considerably.

I had VW mufflers on my bike when I got it. Someone had welded them to the straight pipes but one of the baffles blew out while I was messing with stuff and I am trying to knock the other baffle out. The DOHC sounds quite nice too. Will eventually get a video, but when I do, I hope to do it with a helmet mounted camera.

I have straight pipes with the crosmember still in place,sounds kinda like the bike is 2cnd video.With Omego shorties I should sound just like how I want it.I dont like obnoxiously loud.If I did I`d own harley with straight pipes LOL.1st bike has a good sound 2cnd has a deep rumble which is cool.BTW where are you guys riding where everything is green already?Here the sun only shines once a month nothing is green:banghead: except the bulbs I have had come up.:laugh:

Those strait pipes sound like my neighbors old lawn mower:laugh: But if it makes them happy:thumbsup:

Back