Spark plugs

Mine has NGK - DR8ES-K
A number of guys use the platinum or iridium tipped version.
Canadian Tire always has lots of NGK selection in ON at least.

I bought a set of basic NGK's BP7 somethings. Irridium can fowl more easily so I dont think it's worthwhile to put them in a vintage carburetted engine.

Last edited:
I've been running BPR6EIX iridium plugs without problems; the only times I've managed to foul them have been syncing and inadvertently sucking ATF into my intake.

I would be careful running a hotter than stock plug in the bike. Your bike should have a bpr7eix range if your are using the iridium style.

Couldn't find the BP6ES specced for my bike locally, but a shop sold me a BPR6ES as a "drop in replacement".

Didn't work so well, at all.

Just ordered non-resistor caps to compensate. It wasn't much and it'll allow the iridium plugs if I choose to try them in the future.

If the resistor plugs didn't work for you, then your ignition system has issues that you need to rectify. It could be that the resistor ends were bad, but you should find out before you get stranded.

I have got a lot of nos Bosch W7D plugs from an R65 beemer, my conversion chart says they are equivalent to NGK BP6ES, my xs250 is supposed to have NGK BP7ES, will they be ok ? also the haynes manual says the xs360 should have a `6`

Mine has NGK - DR8ES-K ...
I should have added - "... and this is what the manual specifies for the dohc".

The manual for the sohc calls for hotter plugs than the dohc.
A "7" is 'standard' for the 400 D/E, and a "6" for 'other models' and the 360.

Unlike for the dohc, the sohc manual also lists the hot and cold alternates for each.
This implies that it is okay to vary your plugs over 3 different hotness ratings. However, I couldn't find an explanation as to which driving/weather/traffic conditions would dictate whether you go up in hotness or down. I wouldn't want to guess at that because if I were to make an assumption based on (my own) "common sense", for sure I would get it backwards and be running 2 levels of hotness off what was best for me (and making another entry on "Tell-on-yourself").

And before someone else beats me to it, I will ask the question - does the section on spark plugs in the sohc manual offer us some sort of dating metaphor? :wink2:

Last edited:
I use both NGK BP6ES and BP7ES.

The colder plug i use because when i ride into work im at a constant speed of 60+mph in the highway for 40miles.

The hotter plug is more for regular driving around town at slower speeds.

I also used the colder plug to see if it would help with getting more color on the porcelin for tuning. Not sure if its the correct procedure...?

Im gonna go back to the 6s though and use them alittle more and order a set of the iridium plugs.

The 7s give my bike a weak sounding idle, like its muffled and i get an occasional misfire at idle now that they have a few hundred miles on them.

Back