Speedo cable end design for 1979

OliverB

XS400 Junkie
Reaction score
Got a question about the design of the speedometer head end of the cable: The '79 I am working on came without a speedometer or it's cable. For now I put on a spare speedometer from my '80 and ordered a used cable from a '79 XS400 but the end of the cable which connects to the speedometer head has a different design than that of my '80. I know the gauges were a little different before 1980 but have never seen a '79. I plan on installing a '79 speedometer in the future but thought I could get by now with my spare '80 head. Any help is appreciated. :)

I'll post a pic later tonight of the cable I just got.

Here you go:
Cable1.jpg

What I want to know about is the connector. On my '80, it connects to the wheel and speedo head by a screw-on connector. This cable has another type of connector. Is that the way '79 and earlier ones are?Yes, the cable is square.

Last edited:
I would have thought they were all the same! squared off inner cable either end.

My Tracker has a TDR speedo cable on it!

The drum front wheels use a different cable than the disk mags have. The mags use a screw on and the drum use a slide in and held in with a clip.

The drum front wheels use a different cable than the disk mags have. The mags use a screw on and the drum use a slide in and held in with a clip.

Well, that's the type I have received twice - slide-in w/clip (see pic above). My '79 has factory mags. Like I said, the bike came w/o speedo or cable so I didn't have anything to compare it with. Interesting. So I guess I need to specify one for a bike with mag wheels. One I bought off ebay showed the proper screw-on connector on both ends but they sent a cable like the one pictured above.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Mag wheels or not, that cable in the photo is designed for a drum brake! So I take it the '79 has disk brakes? I have had this issue with parts before; even brake levers and such. Most websites do not seem to add notes beyond year for fitment. I have never seen any mention drums/disks in the front and, unfortunately, the parts are different.

Back