Speedo Change

JavanXS400

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have a xs400 DOHC and i hate the speedo and tacho, so im looking to get a sr250 speedo and fit it, i was jus wondering if anyone has done it and if there are any problems when it comes to the function of the speedo with a diferent bike.
Thanks

If the cable end fits, sure. Don't know if the ratio will match either, so speed may be off. No more auto-cancel flasher either.

I mounted the speedo and tach from a 78 XS400 on my 82 XS400 Seca. It's my understanding the speedometer on most Japanese bikes operate at the ratio of 2240 rpms = 60 mph.

Look here for more photos of my Seca project.

20150126_204556.jpg

Awesome, did you have to alter anything on the bike for the ratios to work or did it just work without too much trouble?

I haven't tried riding the bike yet, so I can't state with certainty that it's accurate, but am not expecting there to be any problems. I've exchanged speedometers between Yamaha models before without problems. For example, I put the speedometer from a Yamaha DT1 Enduro on my SR250 cafe and it's accurate.

Fabricating brackets, getting everything electrical connected and finding the right length speedometer cable is where I've spent the most time.

Awesome, did you have to alter anything on the bike for the ratios to work or did it just work without too much trouble?

I haven't tried riding the bike yet, so I can't state with certainty that it's accurate, but am not expecting there to be any problems. I've exchanged speedometers between Yamaha models before without problems. For example, I put the speedometer from a Yamaha DT1 Enduro on my SR250 cafe and it's accurate.

Fabricating brackets, getting everything electrical connected and finding the right length speedometer cable is where I've spent the most time.
Ok cool, i guess there wont be many problems then. Thanks

Back