speedo doesn't read

freelancethink

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
82 xs400rk seca

the speedo isn;t reading anything on my bike. i removed, oiled and reinstalled the speedo cable to no avail. the speedo cable appears to go into the wheel and instrument panel slots properly yet it refused to register a speed.

any suggestions?

I don't know what the speedo cable looks like on the gauge end, but could you remove it, start the bike on the centre stand, and see if it spins? that way you could probably tell which end the problems at?

just need to spin the front wheel, starting the bike will have no effect on the speedo drive.
check to see if the inner cable can spin at the speedo end :)

If you remove the speedo cable, you should see a small square inner cable that runs in the housing. Take a drill, and tighten it down on that cable. Turn on drill - see if speedo moves.

If it does, then you know that there may be something wrong in the front hub. If it doesn't then remove at the other end (it should just screw off the back of your speedo housing.) Repeat experiment, and see if the inner cable is spinning at the top end.

If it is, then your problem is in the housing (replacement time - check options at mikesxs.com) If it isn't, then your problem is in the cable (replacement time - check motionpro.com.)

Good luck!

Back