Spin on oil filter?

01ps

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
What do you think about a spin on type oil filter to replace the cartridge style main filter? I am thinking if I can find a filter that is the same diameter as the base of the cover and machine a threaded tube to replace the bolt so the oil filter can spin on and tighten down, it should work.

What do you think?

I understand his idea - easier, faster servicing. However, the O.E. type isn't that bad to replace and prob not worth the trouble. This topic has come up before on other forums and some other older cycles have been retrofitted with spin-ons.

What do you think about a spin on type oil filter to replace the cartridge style main filter? I am thinking if I can find a filter that is the same diameter as the base of the cover and machine a threaded tube to replace the bolt so the oil filter can spin on and tighten down, it should work.

What do you think?

try Xj600 stuff, they have a spin on filter and you can use the original thread in the casing. The adapter is like a twin thread either side with a hex in the middle!

you can get the canisters in chrome as well :wink2:

I know as i'm doing this on me tracker, but using the oil cooler adapter plate as well!

Thanks for the tip. Does the bolt look like this?

Attachments

• OILFILTER.jpg
    OILFILTER.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 440
only for oil cooler pipes. without checking, I think the xs400 filter cover fitted onto the oil cooler plate, so the xj spin-on should screw onto the block.

A point you need to know is, there is a built in non return valve in the oil cooler plate!

I have something in my blog about the plate

Back