spun a rod (not so much fun)

felter_01

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello
So i was trying to get my carbs equal and running good to gether when my engine came to a hault. Nothing loud just thought the motor stalled then i went to restart it wouldn't turn over. Tied up! Tore my motor down to realize i spun a rod bearing. It scored the crank and the rod. My rod is no good but can the crank get reground or should i invest in a new one? Also im going to replace all the bearings and seals but when split the crankcase i noticed wear in some of the journals wear bearings ride toward the back of the engine. Is that normal for a engine this old and can i reuse the casing? Thanks ~@ndy~

It might be cheaper to simply find a used motor or a parts bike with a good motor. I have seen decent bikes locally for as little as $250.

I looked into machine work at some point; it is pretty much all more expensive than just finding a new motor.

I have a few cranks if you want to buy one it have good bearings and rods in them, will include cam chain. $70 shipped paypal only:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Alright ill keep that in mind i found an engine locally for alittle over $100 and it runs just waiting on him to dig it out! Thanks tho

That sounds like a good alternative,if it runs well and doesn't have the same problem. I'd think about getting the crank,as it looks pretty good. That way,you'd have one just in case. At any rate,you'll have plenty of parts from the old motor. lha

Back