standard flashing?

flashdogging

XS400 Member
Reaction score
this may be a really repetitive question that im just not finding any info on but can anyone think of a reason why when i start my bike up the right flashers wont activate unless i first activate the left flashers? after doing this once the rights can be turned on whenever but the first time i start my bike i have to engage the left flashers and turn them off before the rights will work? any help would be greatly appreciated

Not a problem, since you are doing a safety check prior to each ride, right?

Actually, I don't know the cause of this, but have seen similar behavior on my bikes too. I'd also be curious to hear if there is a known cause.

My most likely guess would be dirty contacts inside the switch.
Just remove the housing from the bars, remove the switch, watch for loose parts falling out. Clean a bit of grease to keep them clean. Also check every connection in the turn signal circuit. Clean and tight.
When you first the bike the battery will be a bit low from the e-start It takes awhile to recover. The left side may have lower resistance in the circuit. Using the left side first may scub a bit of the crud off the contacts Then this removes the bit of crud enough to lessen the resistance on the right side and they works. The amount of run time from starting by using the left first may get the battery voltage up enough to get the right side to work.
One thing to improve the electrical system is to start at one end of the bike and work to the other. Checking each and every connection in the wiring harness. Check for tight and clean. Any loose or dirty connections cause numerous problems.
Leo

ty XSleo, ill give that a shot tomorrow when its daylight again. i just recently chased a bad signal wire from switch to rear fender, that was a trip. i should have started my search from that end to begin with haha.

Could be poor grounds on the bad side. Yamaha switches the hot side, I think. Which means if the ground is poor, it may not always work. The flasher relay is an R/C time constant, in that it charges/discharges a capacitor to operate the relay. Low current (amp) flow makes it take longer, to the point of not flashing. Check every connection on everything to do with circuits. A bronze gun cleaning brush for a 22 rifle chucked in a drill scrubs female connectors really good, hose it down with WD40 and do it wet.
I had a 650 that the wires in the switch had corroded to the point they fell off. There needs to be some grease on the switch contacts. I'd suggest silicone grease like they use on spark plug boots and wires. Works on all connectors.

Back