Starer problems?

Snoman6115

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey just found this site by lucky accident. Ive had a 79' xs400f for about a year and a half now. great for my first bike. Been having more issues this year with starting. kick starter works fine, but the elec. start seems like the gear is maybe stripped? it makes a horrible sound like the gears are stripping and the next time i hit the start it usually catches and will start. I have no idea what i should look at without tearing the motor apart, or to at least make it to winter so i can. Thanks

79 is usually points and valves if kickstarting is difficult.

Also, that battery has to be brand spanking new and charged up fully to give you enough amps to start the bike. And it won't start it with the timing, points, plugs and valves F*ckd up. Get the manual, do your services, hit us back.

Gap plugs,
Gap valves,
Gap points,
new battery (get yours tested for amp strength at scooter store)
Adjust carbs for correct idle amount.

Bonus assignment, remove carbs and clean the jets.

Ride safe (when it runs)

Drewcifer

79 is usually points and valves if kickstarting is difficult.

Also, that battery has to be brand spanking new and charged up fully to give you enough amps to start the bike. And it won't start it with the timing, points, plugs and valves F*ckd up. Get the manual, do your services, hit us back.

Gap plugs,
Gap valves,
Gap points,
new battery (get yours tested for amp strength at scooter store)
Adjust carbs for correct idle amount.

Bonus assignment, remove carbs and clean the jets.

Ride safe (when it runs)

Drewcifer

thanks but that response accomplished nothing towards my problem, i said kickstart is fine, but im lazy and want my elec start to work better

Download a service manual from the sticky thread. Follow the procedures contained within it. If you have problems let us know. Your problem sounds pretty straightforward.

Back