start button

nick3227

XS400 Member
Reaction score
hey guys name is nick new member first time posting!
I have a 81 xs400 special rat bobber and im having a issue with the starter button. the kill switch part works fine but start button will not work. when i disconnected the harness i checked for voltage and i didnt have any and i know the starter relay works cause i had wires jumped off that with a nos button to start the bike. I also checked the three leads coming out of the switch at the harness plug for continuity and i was getting a reading from 2 leads. And also this button was purchased off a buddy and was in working condition is there anything else i could check beside tearing apart the wiring harness. Any help thanks

might be worth looking inside the switch gear for connection issues. or easier still run a meter on the output wires from the starter button

thanks for the reply just havent had the time to check ur leads yet but another question for ya would be do you know of any free files for electircal diagrams for the bike its a 1981 special and i believe its and sj thanks

nick, do a search on this site for electrical diagrams. there are a bunch of them, and they are all free.

nick, do a search on this site for electrical diagrams. there are a bunch of them, and they are all free.

Posted via Mobile
I found out that inside my switch the spring isn't working properly so I'm gonna have to take it apart the electrical checked out fine when I applied pressure to be little slider plate in the button Housing it work fine an fired up

might be worth looking inside the switch gear for connection issues. or easier still run a meter on the output wires from the starter button

The starter button is finally working no more wires hanging from the starter relay lmao just had to take the starter button out clean the plate and button and straighten it all out thanks for the guided light lol

Posted via Mobile

Back