Starter and kick behaving strange

parbring

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend bought a XS400 SE ´82 for a couple of weeks ago. It had been standning for a couple of years, and we gave it some regular service before starting upp.
The starter engine seems unhealthy and squeeks and screams and doesn't get up to the right speed = unusable.
The strange thing with this is that sometimes the kick doesn't work either. It just "falls down" without any resistance when kicking. To solve that, for the moment, you have to put in gear and try to move the bike, or just activating the starter engine for about a second.
Also a run start is almost imposible. It's like the drivetrain isn't connected all the time untill it starts.

Has this anything to do with the starter clutch?

Yea I would assume it's a clutch issue, judging from your story.

You cleaned out the carbs? Fresh fuel? Made sure the battery is okay? Did you do a compression test? Have enough oil in the engine?

How are you doing a run start? 2nd gear, give it a good push, jump on and let the clutch grab?

Last edited:
Ok. Can I just remove starter engine, plug the hole and everything will be fine? Or do I also/anyhow have to repair the clutch in some way?

Yes, everything except the compression test is done.

I have read about people ditching their electric starters for the weight loss. Also if you have a kick you don't need it. But if it doesnt work with kicking it either, I would assume that won't fix your problem entirely. But yea you can take it off.

Have a little search here (google custom search, not forum search), I have no experience in fixing clutches unfortunately. Sounds like you got a bit unlucky though, could be a relatively serious/expensive issue.

I would try adjusting the clutch using the adjuster under the plug on the case as described in the manuals on this site. It may just be out of spec and is really easy to check.

Back