Starter clutch removal issue

Iggster

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I went to go replace the starter clutch this evening. When i got to the part of putting the puller in to push out the starter clutch....realised some p.o must have tried it as they totally buggered up the threads where the puller goes into.:wtf::banghead:
Now I am unsure what to do...I don't have replacement stator magnents so if i use a pronged pulle and damage the magnets I am screwed. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. do i chance the pronged puller and risk damage?

I would be inclined to try to chase the threads with a tap first. You can't make it any worse so give it a shot.

There was a recent excellent post on this removal by zaphoid18. :thumbsup: He stated the size of thread in that post so you know what size tap you will need.

I would be inclined to try to chase the threads with a tap first. You can't make it any worse so give it a shot.

There was a recent excellent post on this removal by zaphoid18. :thumbsup: He stated the size of thread in that post so you know what size tap you will need.

I was actually utilizing his post for the how to and excellent pics he had. Should I now tap it one step larger or try the 16mm x1.5 and see if it takes?

I would start with the original size first. Hopefully you will get the threads cleaned up enough to get a good grip. If you go to a larger tap then the new threads you create won't be compatible with the tool you have.

Good luck.

Back