Starter motor keeps turning over

wreck79

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
I'm very new to this site, but very happy I found it. I've felt alone for so long I stopped looking for xs400 enthusiasts.

I got my 79 out of a snow bank behind an auto body shop six years ago (hence the handle), hadn't run in eight years before that. I resurrected her and have been fooling around with her since then with no real direction, but I have a lot of fun. I'm going custom if I ever finalize what I want to do.

Now for my present problem, my starter motor keeps running after the engine starts or sometimes starts up on it's own while I'm riding.

1. is there an easy fix?
2. how do I rid myself of electric start? I can kick start it easy. Might be nice to save space with smaller battery.

I looked through postings and didn't see my problem anywhere. Maybe I missed it.

And there are so many sweet builds on this site, I'm so excited I just might finally get around to doing my complete tear down rebuild.

Cheers to everyone.

welcome wreck79 :D

just undo the starter lead ( thick black wire from starter cover, goes under seat to solenoid)

to take out the starter, you need to take off the left had cases as well as the starter cover. slide out the starter after undoing the 2 bolts and take the chain off. you can leave the starter clutch in.

download a manual from this site and gen up on it first.

drewps

Back