Starter switch repair or buy new one?

decaff

82Maxim
Reaction score
my 92 XS400J has been a dream for 30 years since I bought it new in college. So my starter switch is a little flakey--I have to flip the switch on and off several times to get it to turnover. Once the switch is o.k. the bike starts instantly as it has since I bought it. My ever helping neighbor said it had a short in it and took it apart (right in front of my naive eyes) and showed me it was a simple toggle switch inside, but when he put it back it's totally unresponsive. Not even a flicker or noise form the starter. It is a simple fix? is a wire broken or crossed or should I not waste time and find a switch to replace it? and do I have to have a dedicated 1982 part? Thanks for the help..this is an amazing site I wish I had discovered it earlier...:)

My ever helping neighbor said ... It is a simple fix? is a wire broken or crossed or should I not waste time and find a switch to replace it? and do I have to have a dedicated 1982 part?
Hi, welcome back to the Forum.
Since it's electrical, I can only guess as to what part you may or may not need, however, to see if it is just the inside toggle, couldn't you test the circuit by by-passing the toggle with a wire? If the starter works normally, then it is just the toggle not completing the circuit and it might be worth the time to take it apart. If the bike doesn't turn over, then it is not the toggle (no need to waste time on it) and the fault is elsewhere.

I can also provide you with the advice that all the actual experts on here give:
"Post pictures, lots of pictures - love pictures!"​

All right, so there's a replacement part right now on eBay for $45. Seems a little steep for a switch.

There's not too much to that switch, but it is possible that it's corroded over time. You had it open, it should be possible to fix it (I opened and cleaned out my turn signal switch, which was a much more complex mechanism than the starter switch.)

Do you have much experience with circuits? Do you have a multimeter? If not, do you know someone who does?

Back