Steering bearings

PEPXS400

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score

I hope this works!
Not sure what this may be? I replaced the bearing.
Should it do this?
Thanks for your help!!

Is the nut snug it should be finger tight. What bearings do you replace them with?

Here is the package

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 184
I don't see 77-81 xs400 but 76-77 xs360. Should be the same I think. Are the races seated in the head tube. There are threads on this in the forum. Three of my bikes have OEM bearings and my 79 has the rollers but not installed by me. It came that why when I bought it.

That's what I was thinking. I will just buy the AllBalls of their web site. It's specific for the XS400. Not to bash Mikesxs, but they have way to much that is to broad. I order the bearings and a cable that said in the description it was for an 1980 XS400, they don't even fit. I will start using the official part numbers and eBay or the factory will be my friend.
Thank you for your help!

Just an update.
I pulled the front back apart and then put it back together with the same bearing. What I found is that, when tightening the nut all the way down for the bearing to seat on the stem, it makes it loose. I checked it as I slowly tightened the nut, it was tight at the top of the threads before it seated. I don't think it was the bearings. Something I did do when putting it back on the second time was taping the bearings into the head on the frame. That is what may have taken the movement out. Not sure its the right way?
Since I ruined the bearing taking it off and putting it on, new ones are coming. 3rd time is a charm!

Back