Steering Head Issue?

Liamrdv

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully someone may have had experience with this in the past, I had picked up an XS400 last summer, and Ive been fixing it slowly throughout the year and I've now come to this as it's pretty well all in working condition , those issues that have not been fixed have parts in the mail, otherwise an electrical issue
anyways to the point here
When I'm riding I pretty well have to rely on swaying the bike by leaning to have it steer properly for the actual steering of the handle bars is so stiff and heavy feeling, it feels like I'm driving on an empty tire almost.
I have come to the conclusion that this is most likely the steering head bearings and I'm hoping to pull them apart and pack them with grease.
Does anyone on here have any previous experience with this?

Also does anyone else have an idea what this could be caused by if it doesnt seem like the steering head bearings to you??

IMO it would be more worthwhile to spend the few dollars and replace them with tapered roller bearings than to try and repack the old bearings.

IMO it would be more worthwhile to spend the few dollars and replace them with tapered roller bearings than to try and repack the old bearings.

Agree, the ball bearings style OEM bearings tend to get "dents" in the races making steering notchy and stiff.

Any good cycle shop should be able to get the tapered rollers, most common is the All Balls Racing brand. A bit of a misnomer as they sell the tapered rollers kits.

For an XS400 and many other Yamahas the top bearing set is 99-3509-5 and the bottom set is 99-3515-5

Is there any specific dimensions I should research into on these new roller bearings? and is there a kit that would contain all of the necessary pieces?

Is there any specific dimensions I should research into on these new roller bearings? and is there a kit that would contain all of the necessary pieces?

Guess I did not make it clear in my post above your's

For an XS400 and many other Yamahas the top bearing set is 99-3509-5 and the bottom set is 99-3515-5

Those numbers I included are the All Balls Part Numbers for the tapered roller kits.

Most, if not all, of the "All Balls" bearings are special made or modified bearings so it would not be possible to find "stock sized" bearings to fit.

Back