Steering lock question

226dark

78 2E
Reaction score
I'm getting down to details after 15 hrs a teardown / build-up Saturday because it is so fun. :laugh: Today went for a ride, tomorrow will get it registered and insured. :) I will post pictures and newbie rebuild "experiences" when I'm not so tired.

My steering lock. The assembly, not the inner most part with spring behind it, but the assy that the key inserts into just plain pulls straight out of there and also it doesn't lock. Is there supposed to be a small steel ball in there or something to keep it from being pulled out?? The fiche diagrams are not any help to look at. Thanks!

Nevermind, just after that post i went out to garage for one more look.
Rightso, i took the rivet and the cover off to pull out the larger part of the assembly and that little bugger of a thing in the pic fell out. Back in its groove and problem solved. Works like new. Even better than before since cover seemed loose and never thought to give the rivet a hammer-wacking to keep it tight (sorry for the foul language) :laugh:
Also in the pic if you look close, where the key is inserted, i/m no locksmith, but one of the gold thingy things, leftmost, is not even there. Still works just the same anyway, all good.

As of last night. And fiddling with steering lock. More to come when I get some pics when it gets to see daylight and sunshine. :bike:
Thanks for the sidecovers Rev :)
DSC00009.jpg

Very nice!!!! Would like to know what you did with the wheels to look all shiny. Did you polish them? My 1980's wheels set needs some TLC. I will have to replace some spokes since they are rusted.

Sorry, but I can't help you with your question.

Cheers!

Ah yes! Tumblers! That's what i meant to say, haha. And made particularly sure a second one didn't go missing.
The pic is rotten and the spokes are bad enough that I considered new spokes. Wheels need trueing anyway. Or maybe i'll steel wool or wet sand the spokes (tedious to think of) Only the rims themselves are shiny, almost.

do you know the size of the spokes? I am thinking of getting a new set since mine are rusted and it would be easier to replace them on both wheels

do you know the size of the spokes? I am thinking of getting a new set since mine are rusted and it would be easier to replace them on both wheels

I have seen occasionally a nearly complete new set on ebay for a deal. That would be ok with me as i could salvage a couple from mine. Don't know exact size but if i was going to replace i would take one of them out anyway.
Part # for front is 152-25104
Rear part # 1L9-25304
I would consult Buchanan. World famous for nothing but spokes (and the like).
http://www.buchananspokes.net/categories/custom_spoke_sets.asp

Back