still not charging after stator rewire and new regulator

DominicM

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I posted here a while back about my stator not working on my 1980 SG. I was told I needed a rewire for the stator and field coil and I have done that. Testing at the stator wires where it enters the loom, it put out a good 50-60 volts easy so that seemed fixed.

The battery still didn't show the right volts so I read about the regulator fix. I put in the BWD R-292 regulator that I got from Advanced Auto Parts. I re-used the old connector and put it all back together and tested it. Still not showing right volts. So I read where Drewcifier had to solder in the wires and then his worked, so I did that. Still not the right volts.

Did I mess something up when putting in the regulator? That should have fixed the problem

Right now, as I checked it a minute ago, the battery shows 12.57 with key off. 12.37 with key on. 12.20 when started. Then when revved it shows 12.20, goes down to 12.15 and in between the two numbers.

Also I tried the razor blade trick. A single edged razor blade doesn't stick to the case while running. Doesn't even feel like it's being attracted by a magnet. Neither does a feeler gauge.

Did I screw anything up or overlook anything? Does anyone know where else to look? Could something else be causing this charging problem?

First check field coil by bypassing ignition/Voltage regulator. Disconect the field coil plug(by the intake boots, it should have a green, black or green, a blue, and a yellow wire. Run a wire from one side of the battery to either green/black wire and run the other side of the battery to the other wire(black). You cant mix them up your just making a closed loop in the field coil. If it doesnt magnetize a razor the coil need rewired/replaced. If it works cool move to the Original VR. I want you to put the old VR back on, yes ik it broke just do it anyway. Ok So now that you have the old VR hooked back up get out a multimeter. Turn the key on. Now check the voltage between the brown wire and the ground on the battery. Should be around 12 volts. Not check the voltage between the brown and black wires should also be 12 volts. Now check between the brown and green wires if this is not 12 volts is is your Voltage regulator. I replaced my VR with the one you said and it did not solve my problem. I bought a used VR and it fixed my problem.

Brown is power in. Black is a chassis ground. Green is the wire that the VR chooses to send voltage to.

Thanks for the reply man.

How should I connect the old VR so that I can also check it? I took the old connector off it and soldered in the new VR. Should I just twist the wires together? Or should I solder them?

Ok so its been a while but I did everything you said. I bypassed the voltage regulator with some alligator clips and wire, and it took a little work but I got a razorblade to stick parallel to the floor on the side of the case. I charged the battery and it showed 13V. Put the old VR on and with the key on, tested battery ground and brown wire - 12.10 at first, then down to 11.8; black wire and brown - 11.9; green and brown - 10.7. So this means I need a different VR right?

something like this should work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-1981...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a31865de1&vxp=mtr

he says "Guaranteed to regulate your voltage" but how do you really trust used electrical parts for a motorcycle?

Hmm well if you have voltage between green and brown on the vr then it appears to be working. Try starting your bike with the vr bypassed again like you did with the alligator clips. If your charging then you can rule out the vr. Ebay has awesome buyer protection so if your part is faulty you can guarantee you won't be jipped.

What condition is your battery in? After I did all the things you did, I would not get the 14.5v from the battery, but if I read voltage from the lead wire to the fuse box, grounded to negative on the battery, I would get 14.5v. Not until after replacing the battery did I get my 14.5v at the battery.

Check that out, it may be that your problems already solved and that you need a new battery

Back