Strange winding sound

zonk39

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi everybody. 1980 xs400 special. When I was riding to work (in the 40's here) this am there was a sound coming from the engine like a spool of cable winding. When I would come to a stop it would last for a couple of seconds and then stop. Start up again when accelerating again. Any ideas? Tx alot have a great day!

Your oil is most likely too thick for those temps and not getting to the top end. Try warming the bike up good before you go or use a lighter weight oil.

Your oil is most likely too thick for those temps and not getting to the top end. Try warming the bike up good before you go or use a lighter weight oil.

Thanks alot for the info. I was wondering that. How long do u think is good? Tx alot, have a great day!

Hi everybody. ... (in the 40's here) this am there was a sound coming from the engine like a spool of cable winding...
Sometimes when we get into our 40s we hear whirring noises that seem to come from inside our heads. :umm:
Then, years later, when we have trouble hearing any kind of noises, we look back on our 40s with great fondness .... :wink2:

Does the sound rise and fall with engine RPM? Road speed?

Yes it does. Then when pulled to a stop it takes a few seconds and disappears. Hopin its nothing bad. What are you thinking? Thanks for you response, have a great day!

If it is still making the noise after it has been running for a long time (when the cases are hot to the touch) then it might be something else.

wonder if it the starter motor staying on? or the sprag starter clutch stuck?

tried kicking it to replicate the whirring? (with no ignition on)

Let me be more specific. Does the sound rise and fall with the engine speed or does it vary with road speed? Does it get higher or louder as you rev it in each gear, or does it steadily rise or get louder as speed increases regardless of the engine RPM?

Let me be more specific. Does the sound rise and fall with the engine speed or does it vary with road speed? Does it get higher or louder as you rev it in each gear, or does it steadily rise or get louder as speed increases regardless of the engine RPM?

I didn't really notice it (because of all of the road noise), when moving. Just heard it when slowed to stop. Didn't do it yesterday in the afternoon though. Just hoping I'm not damaging anything. Thanks alot for your help, have a great day!

Back