Stripped valve inspection covers (caps)

phate

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I wanted to do the valve adjustment maintenance so I proceeded to take off the valve inspection covers to no avail. It took a few days but with some heat and penetrating oil i was able to take off the exhaust caps. Unfortunately I was not so lucky with the intake caps. After heaving, heating and oiling I finally... Stripped it:banghead:. Are these things torqued to like 100 ft-lbs or something. The caps on the exhaust side are in pristine condition. I don't know why they are so hard to take off. Any suggestions???

I forgot to mention that I would only like to weld on a nut as a last resort. Tommorow I am going to get a set of "Irwin bolt grips" and see of they work. It got great reviews but I am skeptical with these caps. If they work then they can literally do anything. I Will report tomorrow keeping fingers crossed.

its the alloy, which corrodes.

always smear copper grease on the threads when replacing them.

sounds like they have been on a while

Those Irwin bolt grips are AMAZING!!! I bought the expansion pack with the 17mm socket and without hammering or heating the rounded caps came off no problems. Spent the next few hours adjusting the valves. Another quick question is there anyway to know for sure if the valves were adjusted correctly. I did double check and even check triple check with the feeler gauges but I am still nervous. Is there any running problems that I would notice if it was done incorrect. There is a slight ticking noise but I wanted to err on the side of loose. Thanks.

you can get a set of feelers called " go no-go" feelers.

As the name suggests they either slip or stick to get the right gap.

In reality though, there is a wide range to work with and I tend to err on small gaps for the max performance (valves open more)

Phate they sell a special socket set thats made for striped bolt heads you should make the investment and get a set.They`ll remove about any kind of stripped bolt

Well they make 2 different kinds,They make what looks like a vise grip then the sockets so I thought you were talking about the vise grip kind.Sorry for the confusion.

Back