Swapping out the ignition lock assembly on an 82 XS400

Metroknow

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I need to replace the lock assembly on my 82 XS400. Unfortunately the lock is fine, but the cast mount is broken. I'll include the sad picture shortly.

I have found a few used ones on eBay, but I'm wondering if there is an upgrade I could do since I've got to replace it anyway. On the 82 it seems that the angled mount is different than other years in that where the mount flushes up it's at about a 30 degree angle, which doesn't seem to be the case on other years or any of the aftermarket lock assemblies I've seen. I'm even considering moving it somewhere else altogether like under the tank, but being a noob I'm a little reluctant to jump into rerouting wires and mounting things where none have been mounted before (that's what she said. Sorry, couldn't resist.).

I even considered trying to fabricate some sort of bracket, but can't think of a decent way to do it without buying a foundry :).

Any ideas?

UPDATE: I went ahead and bought a used one on eBay. I'm going to take apart the old one to see if I can swap out just the bracket piece to see if I can reuse my lock so that the keys match (I can't tell where the seams are yet, so we'll see).

Attachments

• photo (33).jpg
    photo (33).jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
Back