Taking off the 1980 xs400 special's engine???

phate

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I stripped the bike down and now I need to take out the engine. I unscrewed all the engine mounting bolts but noticed that there are 2 about 2" bolts facing opposite directions that can't be taken out unless it seems a finned cap that is in the way is removed (also is that finned cap bolt reversed threaded). It's kind of hard to explain this scenario so if you just want to tell me from the beginning how to take out the engine that would be fine. Thank you.

Last edited:
A picture would help out significantly, especially if the term "It's kind of hard to explain" is used :p
If the "finned cap" you're referring to is the oil filter (at the front), then it has to be taken out. You will have to put a bucket down to catch the oil coming out. Should be about a half liter.

yamaha-xs400-engine_5069870.jpg

Thanks for the reply. In the picture on the exhaust side on the bottom there is a finned cap bulging out. It's still hard to really see but I am not home yet so I can't take a better picture. Is the oil filter screw reverse threaded?

The bolt turns the same way any bolt would. Right tight left loose.

just undo the oil filter after draining out the engine oil.

then you can undo the engine bolts

4 bolts on the head steady and take the engine out from the right hand side. Alternatively lay the bike down and take the frame off the engine if it's stripped

Those same bolts were facing out on my bike as well. So, if I can make a suggestion. PB Blaster the sh*t out of the oil filter bolt before removing it. The washer on mine had fused to the cover due to years of water contact (and unlikely that the previous owner had changed the filter in some time). Ended up stripping that bolt and delayed my project for over a week.

shouldnt need to remove that finned oil filer cover to get the front bottom mounts out. take the nut off and tap them out while lifting the front of the engine

Thanks for the replies. I was trying to take off the oil filter bolt and I stripped it seems like the same problem as you shamus. How did you end up taking it out???

Thanks for the replies. I was trying to take off the oil filter bolt and I stripped it seems like the same problem as you shamus. How did you end up taking it out???

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7808

Hey phate, there's the link to my thread about this issue. I ended up having to use te saws all method. Luckily the part is pretty common on eBay. You will end up ruining the cover along with the bolt, but buying the bolt and cover together is pretty much just as expensive as the bolt alone so it's not a big deal.

I may take you up on that offer FUBAR but like I said first I would like to try the weld method. Unfortunately, I cant do anything until the weekend (I am working late all week).

I had been told to invest in a good vicegrip when that happened to me. It worked like a charm (even though the bolt is more like a rounded head now).

Back