tank emblem (how to attach)

mikestp

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have done many Japanese bikes, and I was wondering what any of you people might have ideas about mounting the tank badges? When I can control the painting and prep of a gas tank I usually bury the old screw mounts that the tank badges used to attach to. Now I need to stick some badges on due to customer request. Personally I prefer a clean tank with no advertising. I have tried a double sided tape that advertised they should be used to attach trim on any and all cars... however the first ooopppss at a gas station and the badges fall off.

Any ideas?

epoxy? silicone? JB Weld?? whatever you use, it's all about clean surfaces.
Agree.
I had luck with Automotive "GOOP" and a small diameter drill bit. Drilled slight opposite indents into each clean bonding surface (assuming bondo fills the recesses where the screw mounts were buried?).
Using the same entry holes, I went in again at a slight angles to each side. Then I forced the GOOP into all the little cavities, then pressed them together and clamped them for 24 hours. In addition to the surface bonding there were hour-glass shaped little plugs giving extra strength.
Can't say in your application that it will trim up neat enough though.

Back