TCI volt testing?

TOUGEFC

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys another newb question here (sorry)
Currently my project isn't getting any spark.
Brand new battery reading 13v on the multimeter, after doing a bit of researching it sounds like its most probably the TCI box, now before I go ahead and buy one from ebay I thought I'd check here first.

Ive put my multimeter on the connection plug running to the TCI box and im getting readouts of around 11.5 volts, now when I open the box up my strongest read out on the red/white wire is 0.5volts and the other couple are about .03volts.
This means a faulty box yes?

I have tested the coils with a multimeter,
The primary I cant get an steady reading the meter just rises from 0 all the way to 20?

Secondary reading however is 8.7 on the left and 8.83 on the right.

I was getting readings like that too, then I took the bunch of my coils into a Yamaha store, they said all the ones they tested was good.

I got hold of another multimeter, and got a steady primary ready of 3 on both coils so they are ok.
So I guess the no spark problem is the TCI box then...

If the coils are good and you have no voltage to them then start tracing the wires back. If the wires are all good then see if there is any voltage to the tci box. You need full voltage to it for it to work ( 12v+) If there is full voltage to the box then it must be the box.

Back