the difference between maxim and xs400

captainkyleyarr

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a question, I'm very new to the motorcycle world, but the yamaha xs400 has really caught my eye for a cafe project this winter, and found a Yamaha maxim 400 locally for a pretty good deal. They look pretty similar but are these bikes identical? I thought it might be maybe a different name for a country outside of north america? All my searches have come up empty handed. If anyone out there could help me out that would be great! Thanks guys,

Captainkyleyarr

Attachments

• IMG_1651.jpg
    IMG_1651.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 652
  • IMG_1652.jpg
    IMG_1652.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 648
Hi and welcome to the Forum.
The bike you picture is indeed called an xs400, however, it is quite different from the bikes most people think of.
The Maxim is a dohc engine with valves adjusted by shims and was brought out in 1981, whereas the xs400 most people think of is a sohc and it was made from the mid-70s (I think) until 1981. Its valves can be adjusted using adjusting and lock nuts.

The Maxim's engine is part of the frame while the sohc has a tubular frame in front and below. The sohc has 2 conventional rear shocks while the Maxim uses a mono-shock. This and the shape of the frame under the tank make it harder to customize for some folks looking for a flattened out style. There are plenty of threads on the topic on this Forum though.

I just sold my 400 Maxim, however, I can highly recommend it as a very reliable bike, fast for its size. The dohc engine may be a bit tricky when it comes time to adjust valves, however, it does have quite a bit more horsepower than the cooler looking sohc.
Either one is great value and, you get to participate on this great Forum if you're so inclined.

Welcome to the forum:) The dohc bike are a bit harder to cafe but it can be done.

Since we're on the topic, how is the Seca different from the Maxim? Just styling? That's been my understanding but there are so many variations on bikes called "XS400" that I'm never sure.

Since we're on the topic, how is the Seca different from the Maxim? Just styling? That's been my understanding but there are so many variations on bikes called "XS400" that I'm never sure.

Styling (tank, plastics, headlight/HUD), wheels (Maxim has 19" front 16" rear, Seca has 18's front and back), and the gearbox (5spd for Maxim, 6spd for Seca).

Thanks for all the info everybody, I took it for a test ride today, little bit of a rough start as it had been sitting for a couple weeks, but it rode smooth, 27k km, I figure the engine has a decent amount of life left in it so long as its taken care of. Looking forward to wrenching on it this winter and making it my own!

Good luck. This sight will be your best friend. Don't forget to read the manuals. There is a post on here that is a great checklist for first time bike owners.

yea you can go around the world on that bike still. My seca was nearing 90k km when I sold it, never had a top end rebuild or even new piston rings :thumbsup:

Back