The dreaded broken pilot screw

arfingdog

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I've been working on this 79 XS400F that I picked up a month ago. Owner said it would only idle with the choke, and I think I just found the cause while planning a carb clean and refurb. It appears that both carbs have pilot screws that have the tip broken off and plugging that port :-( Judging by some scarring around the opening in the throat, one of the previous owners messed with it a bit before giving up.
From a search here, I've seen talk of drilling, and one success with heating the body and pushing the tip back out using a needle. Before I try anything, I figured I'd ask for current thinking on this. Recommendations? Success stories?
Thanks!

I just posted a big Thanks to @Greasey Fingers for his fix method for this problem that he posted 5 years ago. He heated up the area with a heat gun and then used a small piece of an appropriate sized sewing needle stuck to some vise grip pliers to push the piece of needle tip out. I flat out couldn't believe it when it came free. Hopefully, it will work on the second carb too.

Awesome! Just make sure the hole doesn't get deformed or enlarged any.

Well, I tried to be careful about that and I think I succeeded. It would have been nice to have the other carb to size the needle used, but that orifice is jammed too. I'll enjoy the potential victory today, and then work the other one tomorrow.

Back