The mystery HOLE!

That's what I said. Into the vacuum tube on the right intake boot.

I think he means on the other side of the carbs, the filter/intake side. If you connect the breather to the vacuum, it'll start pulling stuff (air/oil) from the crankcase straight into the combustion chamber. On the other side, with no pressure/vacuum, the breather is free to vent out as necessary.

The hole or nipple Im referring to is the tach mount. Problem is the shaft that spins and turns the cable is still in there, still spinning and spitting oil all over my engine. Can I get that out of there?? I can't plug it while its spinning.

There is a seal in there that you will have to replace to stop the leaking. Or remove the tach drive all together. To do that you will have to remove the rocker box then plug it. There was a guy on here that made plugs for the tach drives his handle was milliniumfalcon I think. I got one of them on my spare engine it's nice.

Attachments

• DSC02017.jpg
    DSC02017.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 290
  • DSC02018.jpg
    DSC02018.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 287
I think he means on the other side of the carbs, the filter/intake side. If you connect the breather to the vacuum, it'll start pulling stuff (air/oil) from the crankcase straight into the combustion chamber. On the other side, with no pressure/vacuum, the breather is free to vent out as necessary.

Yes, that's what I mean!

The factory vented into the "H" pipe before the carbs. That's fine. He was talking about venting into the ports in the intake boots after the carbs. That's bad. It introduces additional air after the carbs have metered the fuel meaning you would be leaning out the mixture.

On a bump here - does anyone currently use the Reed crankcase vent? I was looking at buying one but someone said its difficult to fit without elaboration. I just thought it would be as easy as just pushing it into the hole and your done. Anyone know?

You don't need a reed vent on the sohc xs400. Those are for the xs650 witch vent from the rocker box.

The 650's benefit from having a reed valve on the crankcase vent because they can develop a vacuum when both pistons rise at the same time (depending on the crank installed). The 400's have a 180 degree crank (1 piston up, the other down) and won't create a vacuum.

I used to have my crankcase vented to atmosphere through a filter. It would mist oil on occasion, and at every stop sign and traffic light I could smell oil fumes. Made me think I'd developed an oil leak and generally pissed me off. I made some velocity stacks for my pod filters and vented the crankcase into them. Similar to the SOHC H-pipe intake boots. No more oil slobbering or fumes. I was also able to slightly lean out the idle mixture as well. Much better!

Don't try to undo all the factory engineering, try to make it better!

Interesting. I've heard talk about the engine in my car developing vacuum and it's not arranged like the XS650.
Do you have actual documentation or can you be more specific as to why the 180 degree crank set up would not benefit from creating a slight vacuum?
Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand better.

A 180 degree twin CAN'T develop a vacuum in the crankcase. The internal volume of the crankcase doesn't change. The 650 twin will develop a vacuum in the crankcase as both pistons rise and fall at the same time.

All piston engines will benefit from a vacuum in the crankcase as it will help seat the piston rings and make them seal tighter. But very few designs can do it, and most of them shake like they are trying to come apart...

This is why the sohc xs400 uses a vent tube connected to the H-pipe in front of the carbs:wink2:

Back