The Orange Thing

dessertsled

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I'd like to share a few pics of my project XS250 build. The intention is to make a brat style or bobber-esque bike that is practical to use every day. My main consideration was that it all had to be done on a limited budget. That said, I didn't want to merely take the front mudguard off and spray the bike matt black and call it a bobber like so many people seem to do.

I started the project almost exactly 2 years ago and it probably wont be finished till early next year as I'm doing it as a hobby so it has to fit in around work and social commitments.

This first picture shows how the bike looked when I bought it. It is significantly more tatty in the flesh and the picture does seem to flatter the bike. There were actually three different shades of paint on the tank and side panels.

Attachments

• as-bought.jpg
    as-bought.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 266
A few days later I start to remove everything from the bike for a complete strip down. Everything is labelled and bagged. A collection of parts to sell on a well known auction site will help to fund the build at a later date.

Attachments

• tinware-off.jpg
    tinware-off.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 250
Engine out and ready to be cleaned. Just a few more parts to remove and the frame and swingarm are ready to be stripped for painting.

Attachments

• dismantling.jpg
    dismantling.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 239
Here the bike is completely stripped. Some minor disassembly on component parts but the frame, tank and swingarm are ready to be stripped and painted. I used a selection of wire brushes, wire drill attachments and a fantastic drill mounted pad called 'Face Off' to remove paint. Nitromors is a great paint stripper too.

Attachments

• stripped.jpg
    stripped.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 261
The first coats have been applied and the frame and tank are drying in the sun. I had to spray them in a tiny shed and to avoid overspray and dust I let them dry on the washing line.

Attachments

• paint.jpg
    paint.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 255
You can see here the back end has been cut off to shorten the bike. I still have no idea how I will make a seat so I'll be scouring this forum for help on seat making. Fabricating a base will dictate the final look, although I'm still not sure what style I want to try. Thinking just a thin flat seat would suit it best.

The shocks are shorter than standard giving more of a bobber stance. I like the look and think the bike now looks bigger than a 250, from a distance.

The engine has been cleaned a lot but still needs a good polish. The engine went back in very easily and from here on the rebuild went on quite quickly. right Up to the point where I had to fabricate a head light and indicator bracket.

Attachments

• rebuild.jpg
    rebuild.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 258
Made a headlamp and front indicator mount out of an old Plasma TV hanging bracket. Unfortunately I dont really like the headlamp but it's going to have to stay due to the budget constraints I placed on the project. The headlamp is too long but the lens diameter is too small. It does look different enough for me to lie to people and tell them its been 'styled'. However, if I were to replace it I'd go for a 5 3/4 inch diameter lens and a shallower bowl.

Judge for yourselves and I'm interested to know what people think. Good or bad but if you really dont like it then simply explain why you dont like it. I welcome all opinions and as I said, I dont really like the headlamp choice myself due to the reasons listed. Thats the problem with blind internet purchases.

I'm mighty proud of that hand fabricated mounting bracket though.

Attachments

• HL-side.jpg
    HL-side.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 274
  • HL-front.jpg
    HL-front.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 246
  • HL-bracket.jpg
    HL-bracket.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 268
I prefer the beefier head lamp, but this would look great on a street tracker enduro type. Personally would like to see it with the tank on

+1 on the bracket though!!

I'm with you there Sesty. When the tank and seat are in place the headlamp may look better. A bit less prominent. Moving the ignition key to the side might neaten the whole look too.

I agree with Sesty. I think seeing the "whole" picture with the tank mounted will help. I don't mind the head light myself. I really like the orange frame. Those side mirrors aren't my favorite. I like where you are going with your bike. I'm with you on the budget constraint. So far I've put most of my money into getting my bike to run right. Nice job on your progress, and good luck on the rest of your build!

Here's the front mudguard. Cut down, brackets fabricated and fitted. From an unknown bike it was bought at an autojumble for £5 ($8 approx). It had a dent at the front so I cut that off and trimmed the back end to length. It is quite high off the wheel to give more of a street scrambler look.

I'll post a picture of the back end real soon. That's what I'm working on at the moment. I'm using the original chrome item but mounted much further back to reduce overhang. I've cut the end off the black plastic part and the whole thing looks quite neat. Then I will need to make a bracket for the rear indicators.

After that I'll pop the tank on, put something seat shaped where the seat will go and post a picture representing how the bike will (hopefully) look when finished.

Attachments

• Front-mudguard.jpg
    Front-mudguard.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 332
Scorpio, this is the only photo of the exhaust I have at the moment. It was fitted to the bike when I bought it and I think it looks great. Its really stubby which I like.

Sorry I can't be of any help with Fabrication information. It was like that when it arrived. If you want me to take some pics of the exhaust in situ I'll gladly take a few and post them for you.

Attachments

• exhaust.jpg
    exhaust.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 264
If you look at most of the aftermarket setups they look hand made. Mine is the same way:) It was made by a company back in the 70's called winning performance. They weren't mass produced like the mac systems are today but by a few fabricators working out of a garage.:thumbsup:

So, after some family stuff happening and preventing me playing motorbikes, I'm finally finding the time to get on with my "Orange Thing" project. The major tasks I've managed to perform are:
1. Paint decorative 'go faster' stripes on tank.
2. paint immitation number ovals on sode panels.
3. lacquer tank and side panels.
4. make a seat - will need to re-make the seat as it looks rubbish.
5. general electrical fixing and tidying.

I must admit the bike is looking how I'd hoped it would turn out. A street tracker/bobber/brat style. Thats a vague description but I like the bike and am pleased.

Anyhoo, take a look and let me know what you think.

IMG_3548.jpg

IMG_3545.jpg

IMG_3550.jpg

Back