The start of something new

oh.. by the way the switch was removed!..so I am going to cross the wires the same as I did with the clutch lever!!

And around the block it did GO!!!... clutch slippin like snot on a door knob!!!... well more work to do ... BUT I RODE IT!!!..
Thanks Bentwrench!... you made my weekend!

Well folks...guess that's it... it runs..rides..and is so much fun!..
Thanks for all the help and info...I don't think I could have done it without this forum!
Hope this inspires more maxims!... I want a Virago for my next one!

Attachments

• 9-16-2012 finish 002.jpg
    9-16-2012 finish 002.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 413
  • 9-16-2012 finish 001.jpg
    9-16-2012 finish 001.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 441
What I like about your bike is just how gently modified it looks. Can't remember if you've posted shots without the saddle bags (which, by the way, look HUGE! Does it still look okay with something smaller on there, or do you need to transport like, children in them?)

Well... A few things about the Frankenstien... Got to ride it in the rain this morning!.. glad I installed the wind screen yesterday!... gone are the saddlebags..amazing what HOT pipes can do! It is so much fun. I forgot how much fun small cc motors are. Still has a little hesitation off the line cold... but I can live with it. Here are pics of the windscreen... Ooooo and a link to the seconds before she.. my daughter, laid it down and broke her hand! Her cast reads" IT WAS WORTH IT!"

Attachments

• 9-21-2001 002.jpg
    9-21-2001 002.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 379
  • 9-21-2001 003.jpg
    9-21-2001 003.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 413
So I was poking around the local bike wreckers today.. looking for a pet-cock..(found one).. and stumbled onto a monoshock.. much beefier than my stock one but had the words "de carbon system" on it.. so I bought it.. and it fits and its 50% stiffer and raised my ass 3 inches!.. now if I could just find some nice big forks this thing could evolve into a real nice dual sport!

Attachments

• 9-22-2012 001.jpg
    9-22-2012 001.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 432
  • 9-22-2012 002.jpg
    9-22-2012 002.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 402
Just wondering what tank you ended up using?

I want to cafe my maxim, any suggestions? I want a real flat leather seat look, tank higher than seat of course.

Standard 250 maxim at the moment.

The tank is a 78 Kawasaki 250... heavy modifications!!! I had to make my own mounts for it.. It wasn't real easy to do...but if you can weld, its possible. Since the last photo was taken I have redone the seat in a brat style... really regret it... It seems I'm always wanting to slip off the end of the bike... or so it feels anyhow. I plan to redo it again, only this time I will add a fiberglass rear housing. Hope this stuff helps... and good luck with the project!

If you look up "de carbon yamaha shock" on the googles, you will find that it's kind of like calling the engine DOHC. Just some made up copyrighted technology around the shocks. I've seen this reference on shocks for Viragos, XTs, and the larger Maxims. The 38M-00 seems to be a parts number...

Sorry for the long delay in responding.
The ride is awesome!... BUT...of course not without a down side!.. the front suspension is not keeping up with the rear... its to soft.
So now I am trying to source another front end that will work with the drum and spoke configuration... I am not sure how it would work with the factory frame configuration however... It might look like a 70's hot rod with the back end up in the air!:shrug:

Back